Author Topic: Europe-a-phone-a-dummy  (Read 826 times)

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
Europe-a-phone-a-dummy
« on: June 14, 2010, 11:35:33 AM »
Stupid question - my wife is going to Prague for work for a week, and I'm trying to figure out some way to talk to her without it being a million dollars. She'll have wifi in the hotels (probably) so any advice on using some mess of Skype or something to connect computer to computer or iPod Touch to computer or ancient iPhone to computer via internets? Neither of our phones has international coverage. Thanks for nothing Frito.

yesno

• Space Champion!
Re: Europe-a-phone-a-dummy
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 12:07:16 PM »
Skype, and get a Skype number, and international calling.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 04:51:30 PM »
So Skype uses only Wifi/Internet.  But it works on an iPod Touch and laptop both.  For $13 bucks, you can call anywhere in the rich world, without paying by the minute.  You can buy a number in whatever country you think people will want to call you from.  I have a US number, so I can use it to call anywhere in Europe while in Europe, but it might be rude of me to have people call it.  But my wife in Virginia can call it, and it's like a local call.

I also note that using Skype, through international hotel wifi, gives better sound quality than AT&T wireless calling another AT&T wireless phone in the same town.

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 10:14:27 AM »
Thanks!