Author Topic: Guest Suggestion: John Darnielle  (Read 4043 times)

robertc

• Policemans heel
Guest Suggestion: John Darnielle
« on: June 19, 2010, 11:35:35 PM »
I feel like this suggestion is too obvious. I know that Tom shies away from breaking the immersion of Jon Wurster's characters, but the Mountain Goats aren't quite so intimately connected with Wurster as Superchunk, and John Darnielle interviews are always adorable and great. I'm sure that it has already been set in stone that he won't appear on the show if he hasn't by now, but I figured it would be worth bringing up, if only to get a confirmation that it's a no-go, and lower my worldly ambitions accordingly.

mackro

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Guest Suggestion: John Darnielle
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 07:25:05 PM »
I wouldn't get all negative about the suggestion. It is a great one! 

Sure, it might be too insider-y or awkward. If so, that's life. But you already sound defeated about your great suggestion.  John Darnielle is a very funny man and is always a great guest on anything he's on.. and he's done more than be the lead Mountain Goat. He used to write about music in his Last Plane To Jakarta zine, moderates the website thereof, has written a book on Sabbath's Master Of Reality in the 33 1/3 series, and regularly writes for Philly's Decibel Magazine. (I swear I'm not Darnielle's publicist.)

robertc

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 07:44:02 PM »
Ha, I hope I didn't come across so negatively, I'm not the most ambitious person. I gotta keep my chin up!

joe

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 08:37:57 PM »
I agree, this would be great.  And he did appear on Prank Patrol last year, so it's only right that the Best Show trump them.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 12:25:44 AM »
I think this is a stellar suggestion.  But who's this Jon Wurster of whom you speak?
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Lothar_Brightblade

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 12:31:52 AM »
Ignoring all the previous replies, I second this suggestion.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 02:26:25 AM »
Thirded. Darnielle's a fan of the Best Show, from what I've heard. I think I heard that. Somewhere. Maybe.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 02:54:53 AM »
Thirded. Darnielle's a fan of the Best Show, from what I've heard. I think I heard that. Somewhere. Maybe.

I think he donated some Mountain Goats rare stuff one year for the Marathon, so yeah.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Big Plastic Head

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 12:25:51 PM »

I think he donated some Mountain Goats rare stuff one year for the Marathon, so yeah.

True. Having him on during the marathon would also be great. Mountain Goat fans can be rabid (in a good way?) and might result in some new meat to tune in.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 12:44:09 AM »
I would love to see the whole band being brought in and Wurster playing himself, as a totally normal guy.  Maybe that's more a fan-fic idea though.
If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

DoodleJump!

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 10:35:07 AM »
I like this idea.
"Enough with the bandana, already." -Trace Atkins to Donald Trump

Big Plastic Head

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 10:45:46 AM »
I would love to see the whole band being brought in and Wurster playing himself, as a totally normal guy.  Maybe that's more a fan-fic idea though.

I love that idea. Made me laugh just imagining it.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 05:50:03 PM »
Maybe at some point Wurster leaves to use the bathroom and PBR calls in.
If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 08:45:14 AM »
Maybe at some point Wurster leaves to use the bathroom and PBR calls in.

Wurster excuses himself to go use the restroom and five minutes later Tom recieves a call from a man who just kidnapped the drummer from the Mountain Goats.

Sara from Chicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 11:39:47 AM »
This would be so amazing. I know JD is a bit of a recluse, but I can still dream. Maybe he could call in? He is very funny and also super smart, I would just love to listen to him and Tom talk!

During the last Mountain Goats tour, I asked Peter Hughes (their bassist) on his tour diary what happens when Wurster calls in to the Best Show from tour. He said JW finds "a quiet spot" to call from, while he and JD listen to the show in another room! That strikes me as just about the cutest thing ever.