Author Topic: RIP Bruno S  (Read 2757 times)

robertc

• Policemans heel
RIP Bruno S
« on: August 12, 2010, 07:57:30 PM »
Bruno Schleinstein, 1932-2010
Mike's tweet alerted me to it, so I'm sure you already know, but it is sad to see the loss of a friend of the Mike show and eccentric artist, and I feel it deserves a thread.
Stroszek - Dancing Chicken

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
Re: RIP Bruno S
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 09:31:23 PM »
He's gone off to the Great Big Mike Show in the sky.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 12:23:05 AM »
I was going to say something like "Mike's departure from the Best Show must have been too much for him," but good taste prevented me even though nobody who knew or loved him was ever gonna read this.  Seriously though: the man had a hard life.  This was mitigated somewhat by a world-class director's having seen something unique in him and drawn out shattering performances from him in a handful of films that are canonical in world cinema, but his life evidently continued to be a hard one. Rest in peace, Mr. S, you did good.  And thanks for the Mike Show ID.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Ojingeo

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 12:18:59 AM »
guy had a hard effing life. RIP.
I can hear you judging me.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 09:20:48 PM »
By the way, last weekend I watched Burden of Dreams, the Herzog documentary by Les Blank, and I just wanna point out that while Tom gives Mike a hard time for calling Stroszek "laugh out loud funny," there was a brief shot of the poster for it with a huge-typefaced blurb by Vincent Canby calling it "[SOMETHING]LY, [SOMETHING]LY FUNNY."

"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 09:21:59 PM »
Other fun Stroszek fact: Did you know it was the movie Ian Curtis watched on TV the night before he hung himself?