Author Topic: A Bit of A Chat Podcast - Tom Scharpling this weeks guest  (Read 3397 times)

CaptKarl

• Policemans heel
A Bit of A Chat Podcast - Tom Scharpling this weeks guest
« on: August 23, 2010, 11:33:13 AM »
Interview with Tom this week on Ken Plume's A Bit of A Chat. This follows last week's discussion with Paul F. Funny stuff on both accounts.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/a-bit-of-a-chat-ken-plume/id305634745?i=86081296

Barry Egan

Re: A Bit of A Chat Podcast - Tom Scharpling this weeks guest
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 03:41:11 PM »
Nice phone there, Tom.  What are you, calling from under a monster truck?

CaptKarl

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 04:30:13 PM »
Nice phone there, Tom.  What are you, calling from under a monster truck?

It sounded like he was on a brisk jaunt in certain portions of the interview. I am assuming the sound quality was iPhone related.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 06:28:17 PM »
Are there any *good* movies available as made-to-order DVDs via the Warner Archives mentioned in the interview?

http://www.warnerarchive.com

I kind of want to get one.

CaptKarl

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 09:04:38 AM »
Are there any *good* movies available as made-to-order DVDs via the Warner Archives mentioned in the interview?

Brewster McCloud, which was Altman's first feature film is really good. Rene Auberjenois(sp?) turns into a freaking bird, Bud Cort (Harold from Harold and Maude), and I thik it might be Shelly Duvall's first film appearance. Stacy Keech plays a really quality dick that he eventually turned to a hack parody.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 09:35:41 AM »
Actually, Altman had made a few features before Brewster McCloud, the most famous being MASH.

This post has been brought to you by Pedantica, Inc.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:56:37 AM »

http://www.warnerarchive.com

I kind of want to get one.

I see maybe a dozen that I'd be curious enough to watch on TV, but none I can swear are worth your $19.99.  Be aware, however, of:

Verboten! (Sam Fuller!)
The Man I Love (Ida Lupino! directed by Raoul Walsh)
Untamed Youth (Mamie Van Doren!)

*and*

Dogville Shorts

In the Early Sound Era, talent from all over – veteran vaudevillians, musical icons, radio personalities, Broadway luminaries – performed in specialty shorts augmenting main features that packed moviehouses. One particular pack stood out: the amazingly trained tail-waggers of the 9 “All-Barkie” Dogville Comedies. Directed by Zion Myers and Jules White, these unusual attractions showcased creatively costumed “talking” dogs of various breeds and spoofed the noble and naughty behaviors of people. They pulled off grrrreat rrrriffs of the era’s movies, from unquiet Western Front war heroics and Great Woof Way musical extravaganzas to Great Whelp Hunter jungle expeditions and Prison Pups breakout thrills. A nationwide theatre owners poll in 1930 rated the Dogvilles as the best short subjects over more legendary comedy and musical series. See if you agree, as you walk these dogs and unleash a whole lotta laughter.

Disc 1

Hot Dog

College Hounds

Who Killed Rover? (a/k/a The Dogville Murder Case)

The Dogway Melody

So Quiet On The Canine Front

Disc 2
The Big Dog House

Love Tails Of Morocco

Two Barks Brothers

Trader Hound
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 10:05:38 AM »
You forgot Freebie & the Bean.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

CaptKarl

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 10:58:33 AM »
Actually, Altman had made a few features before Brewster McCloud, the most famous being MASH.

This post has been brought to you by Pedantica, Inc.
Sorry about that, I didn't know if Mash or Brewster McCloud was first, as they had a lot of the same cast and came out about the same time. Regardless, there were a couple of films before either of those.

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 11:41:32 AM »
neato, i can't wait to get home and download some of these.  tom, paul f. tompkins and joel hodgson, very exciting.
Your vigor for life appalls me.