Author Topic: Billy Idol at the Hammerstein Ballroom 9/15/10  (Read 1513 times)

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Billy Idol at the Hammerstein Ballroom 9/15/10
« on: September 19, 2010, 05:46:26 AM »
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=228758&id=560743400&l=e854abb228

The show at Hammerstein Ballroom was incredible. Pure rock and roll played loud and fast. He opened with Ready Steady GO and followed it Dancing With Myself.
I wished he had done more from Generation X. He did do King Rocker from the second Generation X album which was great but I was really hoping for 100 Punks or Wild Youth. Generation X had always been one of my favorite punk bands, from the moment I first heard them at Village Oldies on Bleeker Street (Long gone). They were playing Youth Youth Youth. I was amazed at this catchy energetic little song. The moment their album came out I rushed to Alexanders Record Dept at Kings Plaza and bought one. It has a sticker on the cover that declared "This is NOT an import."
I never got to see Generation X and when Billy Idol went solo I thought "sell out" at the time. I didn't like his solo songs when compared to Generation X. Over the years those songs have grown on me and whether Billy Idol sold out in the 80's is really irrelevant now.
Billy Idol is a survivor, a punk pioneer, a fine songwriter, and a great performer. He has my respect for sure.
At the Hammerstein he did all the great solo songs, Rebel Yell, White Wedding, Eyes Without A Face, plus some newer ones which I didn't know. They weren't bad but I wished he could have done less new stuff and more hits. He did an amazing acoustic version of Sweet 16 and I was really happy he did Blue Highway.
Billy's voice was in top form, he looked great and his band kicked ass. What more could you want.
Billy Idol rules.