Author Topic: WFMU Record Fair. October 24, 2010  (Read 1984 times)

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
WFMU Record Fair. October 24, 2010
« on: October 25, 2010, 03:40:01 AM »
What's the funnest weekend of the year. The WFMU Record Fair!
Every year listener supported radio station WFMU holds it's record fair. The best deals on all things recorded. I got my usual fill of 7" vinyl singles and bootleg DVDs.
In attendance were WFMU on air performers and some very cool other people.
WFMU is surely the fun 91.
What's the funnest weekend of the year. The WFMU Record Fair! Every year listener supported radio station WFMU holds it's record fair. The best deals on all things recorded. I got my usual fill of 7" vinyl singles and bootleg DVDs. In attendance were WFMU on air performers and some very cool other people. WFMU is surely the fun 91.

See more here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=243184&id=560743400&l=53ef3e8534

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: WFMU Record Fair. October 24, 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:26:53 AM »
Looks like fun HaroldBlvd, thanks for the virtual tour! Maybe some day I'll have the chance to attend in person...

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 12:25:54 PM »
Sat morning I had ticket booth duties with DJ Monica (who sometimes calls in to the Best Show), DJ Bennett for Senate (who sometimes calls in to the Best Show), and a girl named Bridget (who listens to the Best Show).

Monica posted early with a great line about how all the record nerds had their best t-shirts on for the Fair. Apparently there are guys like this who regularly call her show to give out the catalog numbers for the songs she's just played.

It was an even mix of hipster kids whose pants were louder than Ted Leo's set later that afternoon (hey-o!), European DJ types in town for CMJ, and the older record dudes whose under-developed social skills were stretched to the breaking point on this day - they would not have looked out of place at the OTB or the Port Authority, god bless 'em, all shifty and furtive.

Early afternoon, I did a FOTo with LJP, and by the time I got back the Fair was packed to the gills. I think I saw just about everyone, if only briefly! I bought about 9 or 10 records, most of which I have owned at one point or another in at least 1 format. I only just got a record player again last year, so basically I can just buy whatever. There's no way I'm going to start collecting nice stuff, so it's very freeing. Everything I bought was $4 or $5.

A bunch of us went out afterwards too. Big fun. I missed AP Mike, though, and tweeted at him "are you still at the Fair?" and only remembered a little bit later that he ain't mobile.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 05:45:49 PM »
Sorry about that, Christina. I attached myself to the Lisa Jane/Andy party assuming everyone was in synch (Andy was actively tweeting our whereabouts when our initial destination couldn't accommodate us). We ended up at Steak Frites with a group of 14 or so. So much for the wonders of cell phones!
See God, Kai

Sarah

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 06:06:39 PM »
Damn.  Now I want an order of steak frites.

scratchbomb

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 12:14:07 AM »
Thanks for the great pics, Harold. Very nice to see you briefly. The wife and I were busy hassling and stamping people most of the afternoon/evening.
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

Spoony

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 12:01:59 AM »
I had a wonderful view of the Scratchbomb. It was great seeing everyone. I'm sorry we couldn't speak more.