Author Topic: Question Regarding Band Name Changes  (Read 2689 times)

davidgoeschatting

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Question Regarding Band Name Changes
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 03:53:59 PM »
I'll chime in as a fellow obsessive. I reorganize most things that make browsing a disaster. And by disaster, I mean anything that challenges my alphabetical air-tight system. So I rename 'Bob Dylan' to 'Dylan, Bob', for example.

Like Jon brought up about Ghostface (and most any rappers), they've got so many guest artists, there'll be like 30 listings one you're done uploading a Wu-Tang album. I usually just rename tracks with parentheses.

Anyway.

I wouldn't change band names. It's your iPod, so you'll remember in the end which era and album you're looking for. I usually stick to what's comfortable and try not to think about the perfect way to organize. It's only gonna be perfect to me in the end.
It's the latest thing to be nowhere. You can turn into the wallpaper.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 04:04:34 PM »
Again, just use the Sort Artist field. That's what it's there for.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 04:07:31 PM »
That's a practical solution, but what about the quandary?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Jason

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 04:51:27 PM »
Sorry.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 05:26:08 PM »
This thread is a death knell for the FOT forum.

Sorry guys, my bad. It was fun while it lasted.

But seriously, that's not cool. I read this board as much chance as I get to keep up to date on FOTs and all things Best Show and don't contribute a whole lot because at times this place feels like the cool kids table and its hard to get noticed in a situation like that and also feel accepted.

But with comments like that, who needs places like this? I mean I get it, it's the internet and people are dicks all over, but this place thinks of itself as something different and I do too.

It was an admittedly stupid question but I thought it might provoke some conversation on a board filled with music nerds.

If you don't like this thread that much, just delete it.
Hey Woody, may I suggest adding the name or initials of a consistent band member to quandrifying artists/groups? 
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 08:40:19 PM »
As someone who obsesses over precise classification myself, I would only keep the old name for albums that were released under that name.

Yeah, that's what I end up doing.

yesno: I'll give that a try, too. Thanks.

Fredericks: That sounds like a good idea, too but I think I'll try the Sort Artist field that yesno offered.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 12:44:02 AM »
Here's another tagging question:

How do you batch convert an entire library so that every album is tagged with the year in front of it? I know how to do it on a filename, but can't figure out how to change the actual album tag to read Year-Album.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2010, 08:07:12 AM »
Gilly, it won't help you if you don't have a Mac, but Doug's Applescripts site is pretty indispensable for fancy track wrangling.

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2010, 01:27:15 PM »
I don't have a Mac. Normally Mp3tag can do everything I need, and I think it probably can do this too. I just can't figure out how.