Author Topic: Modern Butlers  (Read 7584 times)

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Modern Butlers
« on: January 17, 2011, 12:06:33 PM »
www.modernbutlers.com

http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?user=modernbutlers

There's a website I discovered called "Modern Butlers" which is by, for, and about the butlers of this modern era. There is also a message board. I've been known to infiltrate it on occassion (and have been banned about 500 times). It's completely bizarre. It's also 100% serious.

Topics discussed include "desert spoon placement" and "holding doors for party guests."

The proprietor of the website is Steven Ferry who is prompt with responses to all sorts of questions.

Once he was asked on how to best ask the master of the house for a raise:

Almost always a tricky situation that most of us meet when our employer is not the type to keep track of such matters. I understand one lady's maid stayed with her employer for four decades or so without receiving so much as a single pay raise. I think that betrays not so much loyalty as self abnegation.

So, to your question: Timing is important: pick a moment when you have had the opportunity to wow your employer in some fashion and you know he is relaxed, happy, and with nothing else on his mind or agenda. "May I have a few short words with you, Sir?" followed by "I was wondering, if you be happy with my service over the last three years and feel I have moved beyond the initial trial period, whether you'd consider an increase in my salary? am not seeking an answer now, but would appreciate your considering the matter." And then "May I freshen your glass, Sir?" and leaving.

Alternatively, send him a written note of the same import, and following a series of coups and actions that have left him wel pleased. It might be worth making one of these actions the submission of an annual statement of the household accounts, showing how much money was saved by your astute actions.

Enjoy.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Bryan

• Space Champion!
Re: Modern Butlers
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 12:36:54 PM »
This is astonishing. Thanks!

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:02:34 AM »
I actually love this response.
Great scoop, Gregg!

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 04:59:28 PM »
!!!

In Love With My Master's Daughter
IP: 69.64.213.2
Posted on October 5, 2010 at 06:50:17 AM by Butler Near The Sea

Hello All. I am in need of urgent advice and am glad I discovered this forum.

I have worked at a new estate for the past two years. The master and his wife are an incredible couple -- they give their largess to a variety of wonderful causes like the Tea Party movement and once a year open their grounds to a variety of poor orphans whom live in the area for a day of play and fun (although, I must say, these poor orphans make my life difficult as they dirty up the property!)

This couple has a daughter whom I have not met recently as she was away at college and then spent a year away from home to find herself when I was hired.

Upon the first time I saw her, I fell in love with her. Her eyes sparkle with the intensity of 1,0001 fireflies. She is smart (she has read poetry at area open mic nights!) She is funny -- the jokes she makes at Orphan's Day are amongst the funnies I've ever heard. She is everything that I have ever wanted in a woman.

Alas, the difficulties. She is the daughter of my employer! And now that she is staying at the estate, I am her employee of sorts as well. I know that I'm just the help and it's not my place to have these feelings.

It is quite the problem. I have also watched the fabulous movie The Bodyguard several times -- it's not about a butler, of course, but it's a similar theme.

I know the perils of being in love with an employer. But it's also one that I can't find myself escaping!

Any advice would be of extreme help.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

AllisonLeGnome

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 05:22:12 PM »
That post can't possibly be real, can it? Maybe I'm just reluctant to believe.

I think I've just found my next band name: The Blogging Butlers

Greggulator

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 05:38:05 PM »
The author of the post in question is known to co-host a basketball podcast linked at the bottom of this post.

Ones that me or my friends wrote that have been taken down:

"How Do You Apologize to a Child?"

"Were Butlers Rewarded Enough in the Stimulus Package?"

"Case Study: Trying Not to Cry at Night"

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 05:56:59 PM »
Too many typos and grammatical errors to have been written by someone fastidious enough to buttle.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 06:59:02 PM »
Yeah, "the intensity of 1,0001 fireflies" is kind of a giveaway.  Still, I liked it.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 07:34:23 PM »
I can't tell you how many times I have seen the so called professionals Butlers in Hotels chewing gum, feet and body leaning on the walls. you might even try some Military training...There is nothing sharper than those who have been trained by the military. The have a professional deameanor and stature. Sometimes you might just video tape your employees slouching,leaning on the desk, leaning on walls...then show it to them...see if they then get it...If not, look for someone who does...

These crazy butlers are OUT OF CONTROL!

Senator Gothman (D-OR)

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 12:59:09 AM »
Maybe I didn't dig far enough, but I was looking for a thread wherein the participating butlers fanatically critique the butlering styles of famous fictional butlers played by actors William Powell (My Man Godfrey), Sir Anthony Hopkins (The Remains of the Day), and Christopher Hewett ("Mr. Belvedere").

Greggulator

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 09:18:21 AM »
Maybe I didn't dig far enough, but I was looking for a thread wherein the participating butlers fanatically critique the butlering styles of famous fictional butlers played by actors William Powell (My Man Godfrey), Sir Anthony Hopkins (The Remains of the Day), and Christopher Hewett ("Mr. Belvedere").

Steven Ferry, who is *THE* Modern Butler behind the site, frequently touts Remains of the Day and Gosford Park to hopeful butlers.

Sarah

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 02:35:55 PM »
What's his position on Jeeves?  I'm talking both Wodehouse and Ames versions here.

Wes

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 03:22:14 PM »
I would be interested to learn the impact of the AskJeeves search site on the the modern butler. Were they consulted in its creation? Did they feel that the site accurately portrayed their industry insofar as how a modern butler's skill-set might theoretically be translated into the domain of search engines/site listings? Did its failure lower the confidence and performance of existing butlers and/or reduce the amount (and quality!) of newer potential butlers?

I would also be interested in hearing their answers to similar questions on that episode of Newsradio where Bill had his butler, Cadbury.
This may be the year I will disappear.

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »
They seem to be very polite and accomodating. You have to wonder what they do to cut loose after a long day of butling.

Senator Gothman (D-OR)

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 04:22:21 PM »

I would also be interested in hearing their answers to similar questions on that episode of Newsradio where Bill had his butler, Cadbury.

:D

"Come on, Cadbury, do a little dance."
"What kind of dance, sir?"
"Ohhh, I don't know. A boogie dance!"
"Very good, sir."