Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947427 times)

peter falk

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #2010 on: December 14, 2016, 03:25:31 PM »
Blood Meridian remains my favorite book but I reread it over the summer and some of the more intensely cruel sequences were harder to stomach than they were when I was 19. 

Suttree is also wonderful and oddly humane as much as a Cormac McCarthy book can be.  I think you can read the Border Trilogy, Blood Meridian, Suttree and avoid Child of God and the rest, honestly.

Has anyone read the Man Who Loved Dogs?  My wife just got it for me and I think the English translation just came out.  I guess it's a noir about Trotsky's assassin with some canine subplot or theme so the combination of dogs and leftist intrigue targets my two primary interests.. 

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #2011 on: December 14, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »
For the love of God, do not avoid Child of God!
See God, Kai

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2012 on: December 14, 2016, 04:25:07 PM »
I'm reading Pynchon's Bleeding Edge, and not only is it super fun, it's making me realize that Pynchon is 100% understandable if you get all the unexplained references. This takes place in NYC in spring 2001, which is probably where most of my NYC memories hail from  -- references to Kozmo.com, Welcome to the Johnsons, Krispy Kreme, etc etc. abound.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2013 on: December 16, 2016, 02:10:53 PM »
I have been on a tare of reading W.Somerset Maugham books lately.

I can't get enough, the last ones I read were Ashenden and the Razor's Edge.  I really enjoyed both.

Currently I am reading a PG Wodehouse anthology and its pretty fun, I have never read any of the Jeeves and Wooster stuff.
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2014 on: March 05, 2017, 04:40:55 PM »

Untold story of the original Circle Jerks bass player.  Author Hunter Bennett really did some detective work to put this together, and it pays off with one of the most interesting punk bios I've ever read.  Rogerson was a real life Jon Wurster character from start to (sadly early) finish.

euphoriafish

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #2015 on: March 11, 2017, 12:53:04 AM »

Untold story of the original Circle Jerks bass player.  Author Hunter Bennett really did some detective work to put this together, and it pays off with one of the most interesting punk bios I've ever read.  Rogerson was a real life Jon Wurster character from start to (sadly early) finish.

When you say he's like a Wurster character do you mean he has delusions of grandeur or is always enjoying himself despite chaos around him or always feels put upon or marginalized despite his inherent greatness?
Looking for keyboard lute bandmates in Lord of the Rings Online to play songs from Spaced Out (Shatner and Nimoy) and any other greatest hits.  Find Percabald on Brandywine server most days 9-12 US cst, O to friend, IM to IM.  30 min maybe to new hobbit minstrel with lute.

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2016 on: March 11, 2017, 11:18:47 AM »
Mainly the first two, but the third is in there a bit too.  Also, constantly oblivious to reality hare-brained scheming and identity swapping.

Mike Desert

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2017 on: March 15, 2017, 12:39:04 PM »
I'm reading the Alice Bag book. a couple hundred pages in. Pretty great!

Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2018 on: March 24, 2017, 12:10:40 PM »

Just finished this Keith Morris Bio.
It was okay, albeit kind of dull but there are some funny parts about how f'd up Greg Ginn is which are pretty entertaining.
Keith was also in bands called " Midget Handjob " and " Bug Jar " so theres that.

Mike Desert

« Reply #2019 on: March 24, 2017, 12:32:21 PM »
Sick On You
by Andrew Matheson

The Hollywood Brats story

Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2020 on: March 24, 2017, 02:29:48 PM »
Sick On You
by Andrew Matheson

The Hollywood Brats story

Thats so bizarre because I checked this book out of the library along with the Keith Morris one. SPOOKY

mostlymeat

« Reply #2021 on: March 24, 2017, 03:03:33 PM »
A great way to feel better about you life: read the true story of a total psycho.

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2022 on: March 26, 2017, 01:40:50 AM »
For my fiction book I started the first Expanse novel, Leviathan Wakes. I'm about 200 pages into it and it's a hell of a lot of fun. It's got a real focus thematically (it's 100% a story about class) and it's really easy to get sucked in even if you only plan to read a chapter or two. It's also one of the rare "hard" sci-fi books that doesn't pile on technical speak while still being pretty horrifically accurate; the way the authors write about space travel is particularly harrowing.

My non fiction is The Run of His Life. I've only read the intro so far but I am very excited to spend more one with it.
Wailin' the eff outta that vibraslap!

theWhatReally

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #2023 on: April 18, 2017, 06:36:04 PM »
Im watching

-game of thrones
-the mindy project
-gossip girl
-desperate housewives

all these are so good, but some people might not be intellectual enough to appreciate the finer points in these series.
As a black woman in my mid 40's I need to keep my mind sharp. Black women have to meet the world on a level footing or they wont respect you.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #2024 on: May 16, 2017, 07:48:01 AM »

This is a great, fast read.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies