Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947177 times)

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #510 on: October 07, 2008, 10:30:55 AM »
 I usually don't read books when I have already seen the movie, for fear that I've been tainted.  For some reason I can't get over seeing the protagonist as a Hollywood celeb.  

i have this same problem.  i dont think enough time has ever passed for me to read the book(s). 

Wake Up, Sir! by Jonathan Ames.

i just bought this book from amazon.  jonathan ames is one of the funnier writers i enjoy, but never have a chance to binge on his books because there so hard to find other than online.  apparently the internet makes me forget a lot of things.

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #511 on: October 07, 2008, 10:46:05 AM »
I am trying to make it all the way through "America : A Peoples History" by Howard Zinn.

Its really fascinating but dense. 

A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #512 on: October 07, 2008, 12:19:05 PM »
I loved Fortress of Solitude.  It takes a little while to get going, but it is worth sticking with.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

tenspeed

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #513 on: October 07, 2008, 12:22:26 PM »
i just bought this book from amazon.  jonathan ames is one of the funnier writers i enjoy, but never have a chance to binge on his books because there so hard to find other than online.  apparently the internet makes me forget a lot of things.

I've never read him.  Though I did go listen to him read at B & N when he put that book out.  He was funny.  I liked his reading voice too.  He definitely inspired me to go purchase all those cute looking Wodehouse reissues.  They're so pretty I want to wallpaper my house with their jackets.

http://www.overlookpress.com/wodehouse.php

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #514 on: October 07, 2008, 12:31:57 PM »
I'm thinking of checking out Paul Auster's New York Trilogy. Any thoughts?

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #515 on: October 07, 2008, 12:34:38 PM »

I've never read him.  Though I did go listen to him read at B & N when he put that book out.  He was funny.  I liked his reading voice too.  He definitely inspired me to go purchase all those cute looking Wodehouse reprints.  They're so pretty I want to wallpaper my house with their jackets.

http://www.overlookpress.com/wodehouse.php

ive looked into the Wodehouse catalog.  it's insanely overhwelming, but a serious challenge im willing to take on.

tenspeed

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #516 on: October 07, 2008, 12:41:04 PM »
ive looked into the Wodehouse catalog.  it's insanely overhwelming, but a serious challenge im willing to take on.

Yeah.  The Wodehouse catalog is good for cleansing the palette, like sorbet.  Usually, if I'm immersed in a particular book for 3+ weeks, I need to ground myself before I switch authors.  Otherwise I can't get into it.  Wodehouse works perfectly for this.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #517 on: October 07, 2008, 12:43:10 PM »

They're very fast and charming little trifles. Nothing to be intimidated about there.

I'm thinking of checking out Paul Auster's New York Trilogy. Any thoughts?

Personally I find the guy a little heavy-handed. It comes off a little bit like "Post-Modernism For Dummies". The comic book adaptation of City of Glass (one of the books of the trilogy) is amazing. For some reason it works a lot better in pictures.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #518 on: October 07, 2008, 12:58:11 PM »

They're very fast and charming little trifles. Nothing to be intimidated about there.

oh, i imagine they'll be a breeze to read, but the number of them....

Sarah

« Reply #519 on: October 07, 2008, 03:37:13 PM »
Just think of it as a lifetime supply.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #520 on: October 07, 2008, 03:45:46 PM »
you always have the answer.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #521 on: October 07, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
I discovered Wodehouse some years ago and look forward to a lifetime of fun stuff to read.

Wodehouse audiobooks and radio adaptations are really fun.  "Wodehouse Playhouse" the tv series is really good too, and of course Jeeves and Wooster-- though tv doesn't really do justice to the material.  *cough thebox.bz cough*

I've tended to avoid the golf-related writings.

AllisonLeGnome

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #522 on: October 07, 2008, 04:49:48 PM »
New Sarah Vowell is out today, in case anyone else is a fan.
I'm going to her reading on Friday! I had preordered the book in an order that isn't scheduled to ship for a while, so I'll buy a copy then.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #523 on: October 07, 2008, 07:53:13 PM »
I am reading Rendezvous with Rama. I am a dork.

The sequels aren't as good.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #524 on: October 08, 2008, 06:01:39 AM »
I am reading Rendezvous with Rama. I am a dork.

The sequels aren't as good.

I promise not to read them. Thanks for the heads up. So far it reminds me of House of Leaves.