Author Topic: Attn: Photographers: Camera Advice  (Read 1440 times)

JimmyNoodles

• Policemans heel
Attn: Photographers: Camera Advice
« on: February 08, 2011, 08:46:53 AM »
I am looking to buy a new camera and I would like to get something that would probably be considered the low-end of nicer cameras (for casual use) if that makes any sense.  I am going to Mexico this Spring for school and I would really like to have something better than my current compact digital camera.  I'm planning on lumping this in with school expenses so I'm willing to spend up to around $800.  Any advice on where to look, or what makes and models are best for the price would be greatly appreciated!

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Attn: Photographers: Camera Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 09:09:24 AM »
I haven't used one, but the Olympus Pen Digital is an attempt at establishing a middle-ground between a point and shoot and a full-on SLR.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_slr.asp?section=pen

There are some good SLRs in that price range, my wife tells me, but there can be a frustrating learning curve if you're inexperienced and lenses can be expensive. 

"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Big Plastic Head

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 11:58:25 AM »
I haven't used one, but the Olympus Pen Digital is an attempt at establishing a middle-ground between a point and shoot and a full-on SLR.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_slr.asp?section=pen

There are some good SLRs in that price range, my wife tells me, but there can be a frustrating learning curve if you're inexperienced and lenses can be expensive.

I have The Olympus EP-2. I like it (with reservations; no dedicated flash or dedicated viewfinder.) Smaller than a DSLR. I also purchased attachments for it so that I can use some vintage SLR lenses on it. Shoots GREAT HD video. Again, no dedicated flash but because of the full size CMOS sensor that point-and-shoots don't have, you can shoot at higher ISOs with low noise.

If you wanted something more compact, I recommend the Canon G-series. I still use my G-10.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

Kitty

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 09:14:19 PM »
The Nikon D40 (or whatever its current equivalent is) or the Canon EOS Rebel series are both great and comparable systems to each other.  Having said that, though, my friend who works at a camera store recently won an Olympus Pen and has loved it.

JimmyNoodles

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 09:31:53 PM »
Thanks a lot for the help!  I've been looking at the Olympus cameras all day online, and they look really cool and simple to use.  I'm probably going to check one out in the store soon, and I'm also going to check out the Rebel series.  Again, thanks for the advice.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 10:02:46 AM »
Question about the Canon Rebel: I still have a long-unused Rebel film camera (remember those?) and a few lenses for it. Would I be able to use those same lenses on the digital version?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau