Author Topic: Sick yet funny yet quick.  (Read 4565 times)

Jason

Sick yet funny yet quick.
« on: April 16, 2007, 04:51:45 PM »

Dan B

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Sick yet funny yet quick.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 09:58:28 PM »
Ugh.

Rainer

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 11:49:08 PM »
I taught Kindergarten for two years.  Miles Davis at rest time, Sweet Jane in the cafeteria. Had I continued to teach, my first priority would be dismantle the domain parking industry.  Let these slime die.

John Junk

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 01:23:44 AM »
Thanks Jason.  I'm at -80.  I'm going to eat these paper towels.

Jason

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 08:46:10 AM »
I'm sorry.

Jason

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 10:59:10 AM »

Tim K in DC

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 12:17:35 AM »
- Killing FOT threads dead since July 24, 2006 -

John Junk

Victimster
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 01:12:41 PM »
This wasn't really working when I checked it out, but What the fuck?  It's like a myspace of people that got gunned down, put up on nytimes.com as an interactive feature.   :-X

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/us/20070418_VICTIMS_GRAPHIC.html

Sploops

Re: Victimster
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 02:14:05 PM »
This wasn't really working when I checked it out, but What the fuck?  It's like a myspace of people that got gunned down, put up on nytimes.com as an interactive feature.   :-X

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/us/20070418_VICTIMS_GRAPHIC.html

Shame, there's a couple lookers in there.

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 02:34:24 PM »
i think its just the phrasing of "interactive feature" that makes it seem disturbing. memorials can aid in reflecting on the loss of life. for instance, i'm sure the Interactive Feature for today's 146 Iraqi bombing victims will be up and running soon..

John Junk

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 03:30:14 PM »
i think its just the phrasing of "interactive feature" that makes it seem disturbing. memorials can aid in reflecting on the loss of life. for instance, i'm sure the Interactive Feature for today's 146 Iraqi bombing victims will be up and running soon..

Yeah, I think you're right about that.

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 08:30:03 PM »
i deleted my post because it was written terribly.
i just thought all those photos were unnecessary.

t-rox, you're right in that they are reporting the news. sometimes the news just bugs me.

Tyrannosaurus Rocks

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 10:29:43 PM »
I think Imus had every right to say what he said, although it was racist. And I think that people have the right to protest him and not listen to him. And, if you notice, the FCC didn't step in. And likewise, MSNBC should post this sick persons ramblings. Just like Mein Kamf should be published, we need these things to understand what is wrong with these people. Ignoring this doesn't make it go away, but showing it, and having people say how horrible it is, might. Would you decry someone posting video of Osama Bin Laden talking about his goals? If no, then why not, he killed thousands more. If yes, then at least you're consistent, but there is still the issue of ignoring the issue. It's alright for you to not want to read those things, I can understand it. I used to be squeamish about seeing video of needles piercing skin. So I never watched movies about junkies or hospitals or anything. That's the thing about censoring media, you aren't choosing for yourself, but others.

MSNBC isn't exploiting the need (although they and other news outlets definitely exploit things a lot), it is offering an outlet for the need. They got a letter from the killer, and they posted it because it's important. Newspapers did the same thing for the Zodiac Killer and countless others. News goes in a paper, that's how it is.

No one should take pleasure in these things, but news isn't about pleasure, it's about knowledge, and the more you know, the less you like it.
Who ever heard of a dinosaur with a head full of grease and an out of tune guitar?

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 10:03:42 AM »
I loathe being bombarded with this cretin's face. What more could we possibly learn from this psycopath's actions that the previous school shootings haven't shown us already - other than the fact that this one was at a college but still committed by a deluded lunatic, and that these killers are still able to get exactly what they want from the media? The Zodiac Killer was an ongoing case when those letters were published.  Likewise, Bin Laden is still at large.  The news business is not in the habit of providing the public with useful information first and foremost.  Broadcasting this garbage is pure sensationalism. 

John Junk

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 12:36:59 PM »
I gotta agree with Chris L.  Certainly anyone should be allowed to publish this stuff, but giving this guy exactly what he wanted after he's already done his thing and offed himself seems pretty tasteless and stupid.  If for no other reason, it merely encourages other lunatics to follow suit.