Author Topic: Gervais vs. Shandling  (Read 13479 times)

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
Re: Gervais vs. Shandling
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 08:44:50 AM »
The only places I've ever heard Shandling interviewed are on Green Room w/ Paul Provenza and WTF, and he came across as very gracious and likable in both, which contradicts what I've heard about him (thanks mostly to the recent Twitter "incident").
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »
I love Larry Sanders as much as anyone else. And I also really loved the original Gary Shandling Show that was on Fox when I was a wee lad. He's a comic genius.

But seriously, f that dude.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Smelodies

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 12:08:29 PM »
I love Larry Sanders as much as anyone else. And I also really loved the original Gary Shandling Show that was on Fox when I was a wee lad. He's a comic genius.

But seriously, f that dude.

;D

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 12:58:09 PM »
Tom mentioned Garry had been shitty to him on Twitter all week, but I don't seen any mention of Tom in Garry's Twitter stream. Maybe the whole thing's a joke? I just woke up and am confused.

nowah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 01:20:24 PM »
Looks like G**** S******** deleted all of the relevant tweets about Tom. They used to be there, though. I seen't 'em.

Kormod

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 01:29:25 PM »
They're still there.

https://twitter.com/scharpling/statuses/237803911761760256

Garry Shandling

Big mistake: walked-thru 2' high sandcastle without taking off shoes. Compulsive-Obcessive little boy couldn't stop crying! No insurance!

scharpling

@GarryShandling Do you think that Artie thought Larry and/or the Larry Sanders Show was funny? I re-watched them all and I don't think so!

21 Aug Garry Shandling

@scharpling I thought your question was about what Artie thought, not about you!

21 Aug scharpling

@GarryShandling I tend to make these things about me ultimately. But what would you say Artie thought about Larry?

21 Aug  ‏GarryShandling

@scharpling This is about you, too. Why u bothering me? I'm not u. Maybe u want another account, so u can give ur opinions to urself.

nowah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 01:41:53 PM »
Strange. The only tweet that's showing up on his main twitter page is this:

Garry Shandling ‏@GarryShandling
@yourpalpete @scharpling You're mistaken. He can learn from the exchange or get defensive. Take a second and try to make a dif decision.
10:41 PM - 23 Aug 12 via web ยท Details

JBillington

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 04:40:38 PM »
scharpling

@GarryShandling Do you think that Artie thought Larry and/or the Larry Sanders Show was funny? I re-watched them all and I don't think so!

21 Aug Garry Shandling

@scharpling I thought your question was about what Artie thought, not about you!

So this has all started because Shandling has misread Tom's tweet, and his default position to perceived criticism is to be a dick. Just like Larry!

Greggulator

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 01:21:38 PM »
I spent a lot of my younger days being fueled by the anger of being somehow slighted. I put a lot of that behind me in order to gain a sense of inner peace. However, as a result, I've grown complacent in both my creative endeavors and career.

Tom -- your bitterness about this incident has inspired me to give in to my own angry demons and to once again become inspired by my need to chump chumps.

Thanks!

(I do hope this is a work that ends up with Gary appearing on The Best Show which would be amazing but either way...)
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Kormod

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2012, 01:31:22 PM »
Gary vs. Garry would be amazing.

dutch

• Policemans heel
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 02:23:03 PM »
Here's some more evidence that Garry Shandling didn't understand the show within a show concept of his own show and was thus incapable of answering Tom's question.

https://twitter.com/onphire/status/243474251628294144

mackro

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 05:02:29 AM »
Believe it or not, there has been worse from Garry on Twitter!  This is from almost a year ago...

http://twitter.com/GarryShandling/status/121807256206581760

Also Garry's propensity to respond to flirty fans (or spambot accounts) more than others is creepy and sad.

James W

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 06:46:49 AM »
Listening to last week's show - re: "what's Garry Shandling even doing now?", one must not forget his cameo in Iron Man 2, as a ghastly portent of Robert Downey Jr's Face of Christmas Yet to Come.

mattaukamp

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 08:13:42 PM »
I get the feeling that Schandling's bought an image of himself that used to be schtick. The loner ostracized by the world because he's such a genius -- where the schtick was that Schandling (often as Sanders) was usually mistaken or wrong about whatever he was being a dick about. It seems Schandling's always trying to teach people "lessons" lately. Scharpling. That Gervais interview and his explanation of it. Maybe there's something genius in riding a concept out that's only in your head and seeing how people react, but I think in the non-celebrity world we call that "just being a dick."