Author Topic: Concert Attendance  (Read 15023 times)

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Concert Attendance
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 09:49:22 AM »
I saw Black Lips the other weekend at the troc and the sound was really bad especially for the Vivian Girls. They were good but place was empty though. But I think I've just been to sold out shows there. Next up is Iron & Wine on Thursday.

schep22

• Policemans heel
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 11:43:31 AM »
I'm seeing Black Lips/Vivian Girls tonight at the Southgate House in Newport, KY (basically Cincinnati).  It's usually a pretty good venue, so I hope the sound's better.

I saw Todd Barry and Neil Hamburger on The Spring Value Tour at the same venue this past weekend.  It was good.  Sound was fine.

aaron in chicago

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2011, 03:38:28 PM »
I'm seeing the Black Lips/Vivian Girls tomorrow night at Logan Square Auditorium. Unfortunately it's an all-ages show which means it needs to be over by 10:00 PM thanks to Chicago's insane curfew laws.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 04:04:09 PM »
I'm seeing the Black Lips/Vivian Girls tomorrow night at Logan Square Auditorium. Unfortunately it's an all-ages show which means it needs to be over by 10:00 PM thanks to Chicago's insane curfew laws.

I'll be there as well.

Pregnant Pause

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2011, 04:24:26 PM »

Maybe this is a sure sign I'm getting old, but a concert that has to end at 10Pm kind of sounds amazing. 

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2011, 05:35:34 PM »

Maybe this is a sure sign I'm getting old, but a concert that has to end at 10Pm kind of sounds amazing.

I recently hit that point for shows during the week, though 10pm on Friday is still pretty early. Any show past midnight has to really be worth it.

Steeley Chris

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2011, 09:11:53 PM »
I saw Vivian Girls/Black Lips a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't feeling BL live. Not blaming the band - they brought it; I guess I just wasn't taking it.

Ted Leo on Wednesday. This will only be the third TL solo show I've seen out of 25+ times I've seen him live.
"Dad gets mad."

Pregnant Pause

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2011, 01:36:21 PM »
Titus Andronicus on Thursday
Ted Leo Solo on Sunday.

Good weekend. 

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »
Ted Leo Solo on Sunday.

Good weekend. 

Neil Young on Saturday.

Great Weekend!

ps- Sloan and The Strange Boys are playing Kung Fu Necktie this summer. How is that venue PP? Also if I wasn't going to Neil I'd def check out Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings playing a free show on Broad St. Saturday at 6.

I saw Iron & Wine at The Electric Factory last Thursday here in Philly. It's been lingering in the back of my mind for a while and a few others I know agree that the sound is such shit that I'm afraid I have to boycott. The show was almost unlistenable. Vocals were shooting feedback all over the place, the sax(which I don't like to begin with) sounded other-worldly(in a bad way) and the quiet songs were ruined with backup vocals that were screechy and even louder than the lead singers. I left early.
So apparently I won't be seeing Dinosaur Jr. play BUG. Unless I can be convinced otherwise.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2011, 04:10:46 PM »
Ted Leo Solo on Sunday.

Good weekend. 

Neil Young on Saturday.

This coming Saturday? Let me give you a preview.

WAAAAAAALK with me yee.
WAAAAAAALK with me yee.
WAAAAAAALK with me yee.
WAAAAAAALK with me yee.
WAAAAAAALK with me yee.
WAAAAAAALK with me yee.
WAAAAAAALK with me yee.
WAAAAAAALK with me yee.

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2011, 09:59:15 PM »
Ted Leo Solo on Sunday.

Good weekend. 

Neil Young on Saturday.

This coming Saturday? Let me give you a preview.

WAAAAAAALK with me yee.
WAAAAAAALK with me yee.
WAAAAAAALK with me yee.
WAAAAAAALK with me yee.
WAAAAAAALK with me yee.
WAAAAAAALK with me yee.
WAAAAAAALK with me yee.
WAAAAAAALK with me yee.

Dave you've warned me a few times but my stubborn attitude and the fact that Neil isn't getting any younger are my driving factors. You liked Bert Jansch right?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2011, 06:07:27 AM »
Bert Jansch was great, but the unwashed masses in Knoxville weren't giving him any love. Rich baritone voice, intelligent Brit-folky lyrics, and 45 minutes of some of the loveliest guitar work I have ever heard. And many people at the concert I attended loved Neil, too. But I think they were just in denial.

Pregnant Pause

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2011, 08:01:15 AM »

ps- Sloan and The Strange Boys are playing Kung Fu Necktie this summer. How is that venue PP? Also if I wasn't going to Neil I'd def check out Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings playing a free show on Broad St. Saturday at 6.

I've never actually been to Kung Fu Necktie for a show, I'll report back after Ted Leo.

Agreed on Electric Factory, horrible venue. 

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2011, 05:36:42 AM »
I saw the Hank IV and Mudhoney in Oakland tonite. The Hank IV was a good time ... lotsa funny between-song patter. Mudhoney was great. I moshed like I was 20 again ... For short periods of time. With several rest breaks. My energy was starting to dip towards the end of the show, but then they played "Hate the Police" in their encore set and I was totally revivified.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Pregnant Pause

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2011, 09:48:22 AM »
Reporting back from Kung Fu Necktie, it's a cool space, pretty small, basically a mini version of Johnny Brenda's.

Ted Leo was great in general, but his final 3 songs could not have been more perfect.  3rd to last was an acoustic Bottled in Cork with the audience singing along.  Followed by Timorous Me, my favorite TL song; when he announced he had one more song, a part of me was thinking how cool it would have been if he'd have closed with my personal favorite.  Then he started playing BACK SEAT OF MY CAR off Ram.  I loved it so much.  Ted Leo is the best.