Author Topic: Kansas City peeps!  (Read 802 times)

courtney

• Achilles bursitis
Kansas City peeps!
« on: March 21, 2011, 03:07:39 PM »
Hey there - I've a friend flying in from New Haven for a visit (she used to live here in Lincoln, NE). The cheaper flights she found take her to Kansas City. I agreed to drive down and pick her up. We'd been planning a day trip there anyway.

So - any suggestions on neat (cheapish) stuff to do for the day? We're want to hit up some art museums and stuff and would love to know where to go ....

Help?

Thanks!

Jen in Kansas

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Kansas City peeps!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 04:29:51 PM »
This may be late - I donno.

Anyway, the Nelson Atkins has a pretty great collection and is close to the Plaza so really easy to find. I'd avoid the Plaza itself though. It's just a mall. The buildings are kind of cool but they house Sharper Image and Banana Republic soooo ..... puke. The Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art is good and free! If you park there or at the Art Institute across the street you can avoid paying for parking at the Nelson. It's kind of just across the campus from the Kemper to get to the Nelson. Don't park illegally anywhere in KC. The parking tickets start at like $28. It's insane.

If you are looking for good places to eat head to Westport. Kelly's On the Northwest corner of Westport Road and Pennsylvania Ave has been there for about as long as Westport. It's a slice o' history. Across the street there is McCoy's - they have this amazing mac and cheese. There's a good middle eastern place called Jerusalem Cafe there and a pretty decent sushi place next to that called Matsu.

The Swope park zoo is pretty good and not too $$$ but it's in kind of a crappy part of town.Downtown - Crown Center is a mall... not really that exciting but Union Station is kind of cool if you are into old train stuff. There's a stadium downtown that has the usual stadium related bars and stuff. I think you'd be best off going to the Midtown area for more unique stuff. But I may be biased since I lived there for like 8 years.

If you go southwest into Johnson County there's a really great contemporary museum - The Nerman.

If there's something specific just ask! I'd be happy to help a fellow FOT.

courtney

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Kansas City peeps!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 04:48:32 PM »
Not too late. We'll be there Thursday.

We'd planned on the Nelson Atkins but weren't sure what else in particular ...

Thanks for the tips!