Author Topic: Just for Laughs Chicago-June 16  (Read 4278 times)

benno

• Plantar Fasciitis
Just for Laughs Chicago-June 16
« on: April 27, 2011, 02:24:14 PM »
Demetri Martin & Friends-Chicago Theatre
including Paul F Tompkins, Hannibel Burress, Kristen Schaal, Kumail Nanjiani

Is this worth the $60 ticket price?  I like PFT and Kristen Schaal but not really familiar with the others aside from their TV stuff.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
Re: Just for Laughs Chicago-June 16
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 08:20:43 PM »
That's a steep ticket price.  On a related note, just found out a short I co-wrote, co-produced, and appeared (briefly) in (Fish Out Of Water: Joyride) will be screening at the festival in the Best of Just For Laughs Shorts Program #2 on Friday, June 17 at 6:00 pm.  That will cost significantly less!
I'll be in Chicago for the festival most likely if anyone wants to sip a Schlitz or a ginger beer.

whaleplane

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 02:22:48 AM »
That Demetri Martin show is weird because it's only expensive because he had a mildly successful Comedy Central show. He's a sort of bridge between mainstream standup and alt comedy and a show with his name on it is going to be expensive just like a concert with a mediocre popular act and a few really great (albeit smaller) opening acts would be more expensive.

I love all four of the other acts on the bill, but I'm not in the position to pay over $100 for two tickets to a comedy show. Hopefully they'll be making other appearances around town.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 02:14:18 PM »
That Demetri Martin show is weird because it's only expensive because he had a mildly successful Comedy Central show. He's a sort of bridge between mainstream standup and alt comedy and a show with his name on it is going to be expensive just like a concert with a mediocre popular act and a few really great (albeit smaller) opening acts would be more expensive.

I love all four of the other acts on the bill, but I'm not in the position to pay over $100 for two tickets to a comedy show. Hopefully they'll be making other appearances around town.

Agreed. Not sure how much the Louis CK show is, but that is a show worth spending 60 bucks for. I've done it before, and I'd do it again.

whaleplane

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 05:32:31 PM »
The Louis CK show is the same price. There's probably a flat price for any/all JFL shows at the Chicago Theater.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 12:27:59 PM »
I'll be in Chicago for the festival most likely if anyone wants to sip a Schlitz or a ginger beer.

Or we could just get some Malort...

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 10:08:02 PM »

Oh jeez...If you come to the screening I'll buy you a bevvy after.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 02:53:35 PM »

Oh jeez...If you come to the screening I'll buy you a bevvy after.

I'm planning on going.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!

ben

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 07:51:45 PM »
I'm seeing Louis CK saturday night and I forget what on friday, but hope to make it to the screening.
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 08:04:26 PM »
I'm seeing Louis CK saturday night and I forget what on friday, but hope to make it to the screening.

Cool. If you see me trawling your streets say hello.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 02:01:23 PM »
I was planning on going to the screening but now I see that Hot Tub with Kurt & Kristen is pretty much at the same time and I'm not sure if I can pass that up.

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 05:10:49 PM »
Go do your thing!  You still have my number in your phone?  We can try to hook up for a drink after if I'm not too busy making out with Nora Dunn.

whaleplane

• Policemans heel
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 11:25:10 PM »
I wrote this! Shout out to Djernin, his short film The Tool Shirt, and the Scharpling Bump, plus 14 other JFL shows!

http://www.avclub.com/chicago/articles/just-for-laughs-chicago-riffing-on-the-best-of-the,56802/

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 10:34:33 AM »
I was just painfully navigating my way here on my phone to congratulate Jernon on his Tool T-Shirt winning the short film prize. I did go to the Demetri and friends show and it was great! A bargain at, well maybe not twice the price but it was a great show. And I sat next to Hannibal Burress's mom and dad which was awesome.  You know what's more fun than telling a comedian you love what he does? Telling his mom! PFT was great as always. Duh.
My screening is tonight if anyone's around.
Bissell, text me if you still have my number. Maybe we cross paths.