Author Topic: Shall We Rewatch Studio 60 at the Sunset Strip Together?  (Read 8643 times)

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Shall We Rewatch Studio 60 at the Sunset Strip Together?
« on: April 27, 2011, 03:22:49 PM »
Not sure if you saw Tom plugging this, but there are now Twitter accounts for MattAlbie60 and DannyTripp60 -- the head writer and director of NBS' long-running, influential comedy landpost Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. It's an informative look at the behind-the-scenes interworkings of such a remarkable show, one that has proven that comedy with a point matters! It's also a great look at their relationship.

Whoever is behind this is absolutely brilliant. I've been laughing all day at these.

It also prompted me to watch the actual show on Netflix. When it debuted, I watched the first one and couldn't even make it through that episode. I plowed through three episodes today -- what an absolutely insipid, terrible show. I completely forgot how awful Matt Perry is.

My favorite thing is that Science Schmience -- complete with dreadful Tom Cruise impersonation -- is some landmark bit but Peripheral Vision Man is hack material. I would watch the hell out of Peripheral Vision Man!
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Greggulator

Re: Shall We Rewatch Studio 60 at the Sunset Strip Together?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 03:23:40 PM »
I'm seriously addicted to Sunset 60. I'm going to try and get through the whole season.

I've heard that the Nevada road trip episodes are some of the worst things to ever appear on television. I CAN'T WAIT!

TheeChrisDee

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 03:58:26 PM »
you know the NBA playoffs are still happening, right?
Can I use the "F-word", Tom?

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 04:16:16 PM »
Those twitter accounts have finally convinced me to pull the trigger on this show, God help me.

ChipSuey

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 04:17:03 PM »
I'm seriously addicted to Sunset 60. I'm going to try and get through the whole season.

I've heard that the Nevada road trip episodes are some of the worst things to ever appear on television. I CAN'T WAIT!

Believe me, it gets worse than the Nevada Day episodes.  The three part (!!!) Afghanistan rescue mission plot is even worse.  Sorkin may as well be whispering behind you as you're watching "this is important stuff here, I'm pushing buttons, and I'm really putting it to those Republicans."
So enjoy while you cringe. 

Sometimes I say stuff here.
http://twitter.com/ThisIsJanic

Greggulator

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 04:42:49 PM »
They weren't on this morning. Planning on watching tonight!

TheeChrisDee

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 04:47:11 PM »
oh, i know....i was just being silly.

Greggulator

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 04:58:51 PM »
I love the subtle axe to grind he has w/ early-90s SNL. Peripheral Vision Man is a rip on Mr. No Depth Perception. I haven't seen that sketch in years but I remember it being perfectly acceptable silly comedy.  I also love the dig on Wayne's World.

The other shocking thing: If you google "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip reviews" you'll see a ton of shockingly positive press for the first few episodes. I really can't believe this. I guess the show's politics are preaching to the choir a bit but even people I know who are really left-wing hate this show.

TheeChrisDee

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
didn't they introduce Studio 60 and 30 Rock at the exact same time?

for some reason I remember being more excited about Studio 60, probably residual Sports Night love, yet I never watched.

Also, I thought that 30 Rock might end up being the flop.

oilcantim

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 09:00:18 PM »
Man, Aaron Sorkin is really good at writing fake sketch comedy that reads like something Aaron Sorkin would find funny!

To be fair, this is a little better than I remember.  Still, yeesh.

Greggulator

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 09:29:26 PM »
didn't they introduce Studio 60 and 30 Rock at the exact same time?

for some reason I remember being more excited about Studio 60, probably residual Sports Night love, yet I never watched.

Also, I thought that 30 Rock might end up being the flop.

The meme at the time was that Lorne Michaels was pissed off that NBC gave Sorkin a show that essentially was ripping apart everything Lorne was doing -- despite SNL being a major part of NBC for 30 years. So they gave Lorne a bone with 30 Rock which ended up being one of the best comedies of its era and actually way, way, way better at showing the stresses of putting together a sketch comedy show and dealings with network executives than Sorkin's turkey.

I really can't wait to get through episode 4.

Sarah

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 09:49:53 PM »
I've never watched this show.  Perhaps now I will.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 10:51:43 PM »
You Studio 60 rookies.

Now that you've detached from yer mama's apron strings go and follow all 6 fake Studio60 twitter accounts.

I've already watched this thing twice all the way through and I'm watching it again right now. Terrible is way too simplistic a term for what's going on in that show.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 07:13:27 AM »
Update - 2 more twitter feeds look like they're real. Or I should say "real". Last night they were eggs, so I left them out of the count because I wasn't sure if some douche may have tried to snatch them up to be a wiseguy.

Whoever is behind this whole thing is going long. It's fucking fascinating.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 07:49:18 AM »
Is it available on Netflix Instant? Every time I have tried it said it wasn't available.