Author Topic: On The Summoning of Demons  (Read 2737 times)

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
On The Summoning of Demons
« on: September 21, 2011, 11:50:23 PM »
Went to go see Sleep No More tonight and a quote was on the wall from The Good Book:

" 10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord, and because of these abominations the Lord your God drives them out from before you."

I'm surprised Tom's pastor hasn't pointed him in the direction of this text.

roubaix

• Achilles bursitis
Re: On The Summoning of Demons
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 12:29:49 AM »
I recently saw the documentary God's Cartoonist, so I recommend Jack T. Chick for demon-related information.

puppycity

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 11:17:46 AM »
Chick's site is recommending giving out those miniature comic books to trick - or - treaters this year, so if you want your house egged or a baphoment carved into the hood of you car stock up on plen'y of Chick Comics!

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 12:01:16 PM »
I remember an interview with Dan Clowes where he said that he read hundreds of those comics in a row and it started to fuck him up a little. Then, in the early(ish) days of the web (like 1999) I discovered Chick's site and wasted a whole day reading them. Clowes is right. Taken in the aggregate, they're darker and freakier and more disturbing than anything by Clowes, Crumb, or Charles Burns. Probably roughly equivalent to the most gruesome stuff by S. Clay Wilson, Ivan Brunetti, or Jonny Ryan. Or late-period Peter Bagge, which I find kinda unbearable (Stinky's suicide? The infanticide in Apocalypse Nerd? Fun!).

Sorry, what were we talking about again?
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 12:04:29 PM »
I recently saw the documentary God's Cartoonist, so I recommend Jack T. Chick for demon-related information.

Is that documentary good?  Where can I see it?

I've been a Chick-aficionado for a long time.  I wonder what it's like to be absolutely certain in your way-out-there beliefs? 

My beliefs are very mainstream and logical, and I have almost no faith that any of them are true.  Maybe it's because when I was 5 I won a book about dinosaurs wherein every fact and theory presented is now considered wrong.  Thanks, Brontosaurus.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 06:51:36 PM »

Sorry, what were we you talking about again?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

roubaix

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 06:55:53 PM »
Is that documentary good?  Where can I see it?

I've been a Chick-aficionado for a long time.  I wonder what it's like to be absolutely certain in your way-out-there beliefs? 

My beliefs are very mainstream and logical, and I have almost no faith that any of them are true.  Maybe it's because when I was 5 I won a book about dinosaurs wherein every fact and theory presented is now considered wrong.  Thanks, Brontosaurus.
I watched a DVD, but its also here: http://www.cultureunplugged.com/play/2330/God-s-Cartoonist---The-Comic-Crusade-of-Jack-Chick

Some content will be old news to you, but you may enjoy the first-ever interview with Chick artist Fred Carter.

I've had very limited exposure to Chick comics, but reading "Somebody Goofed" was a memorable childhood moment.   Watching the documentary, I was surprised to discover his bizarre views on Catholics, dinosaurs, etc.  And there certainly a lot of bleakness in there.

Lucas

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 01:39:04 PM »
I used to work with this really weird Jesus Freak who had all these allegorical drawings hung up around his office (such as a tornado with the names of sins swirling in the vortex). If any 'Seven'-style serial killings ever went down around here, I'd be anonymously phoning in this guy's name. Anyways, he also had a revolving stock of Chick tracts laying around, and I would nab as many of them as I could, used to have a good majority of them.  I was always baffled at the selling point of those things, like you're supposed to read a proselytizing comic that some creep gives you, and all of a sudden repent your sins and accept the blood of the Christ or whatever.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 02:40:57 PM »
Well, it's the final panels with the demons looking down at you in a lake of fire and shouting "Hot enough for ya? Haw, haw!" that do it.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 03:08:09 PM »
Well, it's the final panels with the demons looking down at you in a lake of fire and shouting "Hot enough for ya? Haw, haw!" that do it.

Especially when you're 11

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 04:01:49 PM »
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 12:14:34 AM »
I spent a lot of time reading them all online.  He hates an awful lot of things about, you know, the world.  The whole world.

It was through Chick that I learned about the obsession with the KJV and nothing but the KJV.  That's a fascinating set of mental gymnastics, there.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!