Author Topic: The Southern Gentlemen  (Read 8258 times)

Sarah

Re: The Southern Gentlemen
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 12:26:07 AM »
And it's "flats," y'all dunce.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 02:05:13 AM »
In Lubec, people say "you" and count on context.

Then murder each other in the Clamfields.

Too soon?

Hey, that was never proven.

Murderesque.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 11:39:53 AM »
I get called "sweet" when I go down South, like if I'm leaving a store I'll say "have a good day" to the cashier, and they'll say "you too, sweet". It happened at least twice I think. Maybe that's the feminine singular.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 02:41:33 PM »
I get called "sweet" when I go down South, like if I'm leaving a store I'll say "have a good day" to the cashier, and they'll say "you too, sweet". It happened at least twice I think. Maybe that's the feminine singular.

I've never heard this one, but then again I'm not very sweet.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 02:55:21 PM »

I wonder if they were calling you "Sweetie" and the "e" sound on end is so soft you're not hearing it?  I've heard that plenty of times.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 02:59:02 PM »

I wonder if they were calling you "Sweetie" and the "e" sound on end is so soft you're not hearing it?  I've heard that plenty of times.

At first I was sure that's what it was, but there was at least one other time too - but I haven't heard it in a while, so who knows!
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 08:00:32 PM »
It is a southern thing to call people by the word printed on the butt area of their sweatpants, so if you were wearing sweatpants that said "Sweet" on the butt area, that's probably what it was.
If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 03:07:22 PM »
When I am giving tests, I often play with anagrams to pass the time between accusing them of cheating. Today I figured out this one. "dave jason fredericks" to "a vicar defends jokers". Who's the vicar, and what did we do to need defending?

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 12:05:07 AM »
When I am giving tests, I often play with anagrams to pass the time between accusing them of cheating. Today I figured out this one. "dave jason fredericks" to "a vicar defends jokers". Who's the vicar, and what did we do to need defending?

Hodgman plays the vicar and you three were mistaken for three bank robbers.  The vicar knows you're innocent and is hiding you from the posse that's after you by dressing you as nuns.

I'm just trying to figure out why an English vicar is in the South and why he has nuns' habits.  And if Hodgman can do a British accent.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 08:41:02 AM »

Hodgman plays the vicar and you three were mistaken for three bank robbers.  The vicar knows you're innocent and is hiding you from the posse that's after you by dressing you as nuns.

I'm just trying to figure out why an English vicar is in the South and why he has nuns' habits.  And if Hodgman can do a British accent.

It's a lovely thought, rife with cross references to The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the Passion of Joan of Arc, and Going My Way. I kinda had the idea that we might try to do a subtle parody of a little known but highly regarded intellectually powerful film like Au Hasard Balthazar, a variation loaded with physical slapstick and evocative images summoning ruminations on the meaning of life and the existence of God. We already have our central animal image motif, the mighty possum.

Imagine Curly and Larry discussing dispensationalism, using their distinct speaking cadences and limited vocabularies, sprinkling in some verbal non-sequitars and cutting in some images unrelated to what they are saying to give the critics something to chew on, when suddenly Moe hits one of them with a tire iron, and you're close to my vision.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2011, 08:58:06 AM »
I kinda had the idea that we might try to do a subtle parody of a little known but highly regarded intellectually powerful film like Au Hasard Balthazar, a variation loaded with physical slapstick and evocative images summoning ruminations on the meaning of life and the existence of God. We already have our central animal image motif, the mighty possum.

Imagine Curly and Larry discussing dispensationalism, using their distinct speaking cadences and limited vocabularies, sprinkling in some verbal non-sequitars and cutting in some images unrelated to what they are saying to give the critics something to chew on, when suddenly Moe hits one of them with a tire iron, and you're close to my vision.

Hey, this sounds appealling.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2011, 09:21:46 AM »
I kinda had the idea that we might try to do a subtle parody of a little known but highly regarded intellectually powerful film like Au Hasard Balthazar, a variation loaded with physical slapstick and evocative images summoning ruminations on the meaning of life and the existence of God. We already have our central animal image motif, the mighty possum.

Hey, this sounds appealling.

Here we go. *boink*

So, when are you guys coming to Huntsville so we can shoot this?
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2011, 09:53:19 AM »
The tire iron bends.  Moe stares at it incredulously.  Conversation continues...
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2011, 12:00:42 PM »
Gentlemen, if you three would indulge me, I would sincerely like to take a crack at writing a spec script for your approval.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2011, 02:20:01 PM »
Spread out, Nunskulls©.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau