Author Topic: WTF Live From the Bell House in Brooklyn Featuring Tom Scharpling.  (Read 7758 times)

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150210341018401.318713.560743400&l=138b9eda0c
Once again Marc Maron held a live version of his popular Podcast WTF.
http://wtfpod.libsyn.com/webpage/last187
There was an early show and a late show. I attended both. And was i glad I did. both shows were amazing.
The early show featured Jonathan Katz (Dr. Katz) as well as Jonathan Benjamin who played Dr. Katz's son so it was reunion of sort. It was hilarious to watch those two go at it. Like watching a live version of the squiggle vision cartoon series.
Also featured on the early show was Kieth Robinson and Marina Franklin. The two dated at one time and ripped into each as they went down memory lane.
As if that weren't enough, there was Judy Gold and Will Arnet (Arrested Development).
Right next to me in the front row was a noisy drunk hipster that wouldn't shut up.

The late show featured Tom Scharpling (Best Show on WFMU), Horatio Sanz (SNL), Kevin Allison (the State), author Sam Lipsyte, and Wyatt Cenac (the Daily Show). Being a fan of both Marc and Tom it was great to see them together on stage. Marc was pretty upset about one FOT who always give him grief in this forum. Tom told him to forget it or this FOT wins.
Marc is a fine interviewer and a great host and he really knows how to bring the funny to these live shows.
There really is nothing to compare to a live WTF. I strongly recommend that all fans of comedy attend, but tickets always sellout fast so you've got to be quick.

At note about the venue, The Bell House. Located in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn. A nice enough venue but they have this rule that should be changed. Anyone who held tickets for both shows was made to leave the venue after the first show and go to the back of the exceedingly long line for the late show. I don't think this is fair. If the room needs to cleared for cleaning then those with tickets should be allowed to wait right outside the room instead of exiting the building. The Bell House has precious few chairs and those that come in at the back of the line are forced into standing room.
People like me who buy tickets for both show should be allowed to keep their seats.
That's it for my bitching. Aside from that it was amazing evening.

That's Ted Leo joining the stage

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
Re: WTF Live From the Bell House in Brooklyn Featuring Tom Scharpling.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 08:04:59 AM »
Great show! And since we all know now that Maron will be reading this in the morning, "Hi Marc."
Also, WE ALL HATE YOU.

(Just kidding, but it's too tempting to imagine you yelling at a laptop in your hotel now). I hope you and Tom didn't fulfill your pact to walk into the ocean together.

amazingjourney

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 02:08:13 PM »
My message to Marc:

Marc, I'm a huge fan of what you're doing-- I bought tickets to this before knowing who any of the guests were, as I imagine most people who also happen to be friends of Tom did.

Anyway, it was really an amazing show, and Marc is obviously just totally in his element on stage. I love the WTF rants, but the opening monologue before the late show was on another level-- like a religious experience (but in a good way!).

I'll be finding any way I can to see Marc live, which will be tougher I'm sure since I'll be leaving NYC soon.

amazingjourney

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 09:15:29 PM »
And thanks for the photos, HaroldBlvd!

Betty Rooper

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 02:54:52 AM »
At the Bell House did Maron mention that six full months after I hilariously and anonymously criticized his podcast in this thread, he somehow tracked down my real name and then came at me via Facebook private message?!

I doubt it!  That wouldn't jibe with the whole "I'm not a crazy asshole anymore" thing his career resurgence seems to be based upon.

Fuck Marc Maron and his wildly overrated podcast.

And fuck you, Tom, for not sticking up for a 6-year-proponent and not-insignificant-contributor to this show ANY OF THE THREE TIMES Maron has brought me up publicly in your presence over the last year and a half -  on his show, on your show, and again at The Bell House. 

Fuck many of you, FOT, not for disagreeing with my highly defendable opinion of the WTF podcast, but for responding to my personal feud with Maron by sending me hateful tweets, FB messages, and even text messages(!) over the last eighteen months.  That was time well spent.

And finally, fuck ME for wasting all this time on this once amazing community that has long since been overrun by hacks, kiss-asses, misanthropes, and dullard hipster attention-whores.   

I accept responsibility for my role in this, but that doesn't mean that the vast majority of you shouldn't blow me.

Good bye!

-David From DC
youtube.com/dorvidbarnas

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 04:05:23 AM »
At the Bell House did Maron mention that six full months after I hilariously and anonymously criticized his podcast in this thread, he somehow tracked down my real name and then came at me via Facebook private message?!

I doubt it!  That wouldn't jibe with the whole "I'm not a crazy asshole anymore" thing his career resurgence seems to be based upon.

And fuck you, Tom, for not sticking up for a 6-year-proponent and not-insignificant-contributor to this show ANY OF THE THREE TIMES Maron has brought me up publicly in your presence over the last year and a half -  on his show, on your show, and again at The Bell House. 

Fuck many of you, FOT, not for disagreeing with my highly defendable opinion of the WTF podcast, but for responding to my personal feud with Maron by sending me hateful tweets, FB messages, and even text messages(!) over the last eighteen months.  That was time well spent.

And finally, fuck ME for wasting all this time on this once amazing community that has long since been overrun by hacks, kiss-asses, misanthropes, and dullard hipster attention-whores.   

I accept responsibility for my role in this, but that doesn't mean that the vast majority of you shouldn't blow me.

Good bye!

-David From DC
youtube.com/dorvidbarnas

It's all about comedy. Making people laugh and maybe finding some truth along the way. Marc Maron and Tom Scharpling are all about bringing the funny, and they both do it well. They both lighten the heavy load that is life with their wit and humor. That they have gotten together is an amazing and long awaited thing. A live WTF is like nothing else. The level of the hilarity on Wednesday night at the Bell House was just unbelievable.
You on the other hand feel you need to shit on both these talented men. From your writing I don't see how a fuck head like you could ever appreciate what Marc and Tom bring.  You choose to highlight the negative.You are an asshole, GET OUT OF MY THREAD.

Marc, if you are reading this, fuck this guy. You have a lot of support in the FOT community.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 08:19:47 AM »
Why is Wyatt Cenac showing a copy of T. J. English's book The Savage City? I just bought that book yesterday.  His Havana Nocturne was great.

Also, what did Tom talk about?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

amazingjourney

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 09:22:42 AM »

I have nothing to add to this discussion, but I just wanted to point out that at this event Maron actually detailed exactly how he tracked you down on facebook to figure out who you were.  And Tom told Marc how crazy he was for doing all that, what a great guy you were, and how he thought Marc would really like you. I'm guessing that ship has sailed.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 10:03:25 AM »
I'm a WFMU listener and not a comedy nerd, and I discovered Maron through the Best Show. Now I love WTF. Both Tom and Marc have provided me with weeks' worth of free entertainment, comfort, and solace, and in very different ways have exerted an influence on my own writing.

David, I don't know if you consider us to be friends, but we have corresponded and met in person and I got you an audition at one of the major DC theaters, which was no huge deal, but did require me to expend some capital -- I haven't been around so long that I have clout to spare. I don't take any of your comments personally, but remember that there are a lot of people in this community, not all of whom (or even most of whom) have crossed you. And -- not that Tom needs defending -- but in addition to providing us all with hours upon hours of some of the best radio comedy in the history of the medium for no compensation to himself, he is far more generous with his time and attention than he has to be. I know for a fact that he has helped both of us out in the past. Remember, also, that the guy has thousands of fans. It's unfair for any one of us to expect a lot of special attention when he's already more generous than most normal people would be in his circumstances.

I say this with compassion and in the spirit of friendship. If you choose to take it as an attack, there's nothing I can do about that, but I say this as someone who has met and liked you and tried to help you out in the past: this is the third time I've seen you freak out on the internet about something related to the show. Obviously it's not my place to say how significant something is or should be to you, but I really think that all this rage is not good for you or anyone else. Please consider stepping back from the computer the next time you're feeling this angry, and asking yourself where it's coming from. And -- this is particularly delicate -- but I have also had issues with rage and depression and have sought help for them. I won't presume whether or not you've done the same, but there's no shame in it and even though I still have a lot of problems I need to work on, it's done a world of good for me.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 01:18:26 PM »
Grote is my new hero. Excellent post, Jason.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 03:46:59 PM »
Seriously JG, you are a stand up guy! When are you going to start up your own podcast...which should be called FTW! I'm not joking, perhaps you are way too busy. 

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 04:51:16 PM »
Thanks, guys. I actually did have a WFMU show for a year. Don't feel bad if you didn't listen. It was an enjoyable failure.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 09:02:58 PM »
It was an enjoyable failure.
It inspired me.

Try it again, sometime.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 09:47:26 AM »

I could not agree more, wonderfully well-said. I hope Dorvid gets to read it somehow.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 09:52:17 AM »
It was an enjoyable failure.
It inspired me.

Try it again, sometime.

I thought it was great, too, Jason. I think I heard about half of them. I am curious about why you felt it was "failed"? I know that you want a large group of listeners, so the chances of raising more money in marathon weeks is high, but I also know that Ken Freedman holds up quirky and original one-of-a-kind shows as a badge of honor, and your show was certainly that. So in what sense did it fail?

For folks that weren't around back then, here's a link to the archives. Have a ball, you won't hear anything else like it.

http://wfmu.org/playlists/AM