Author Topic: Deep Purple at the Beacon. June 14, 2011  (Read 1179 times)

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Deep Purple at the Beacon. June 14, 2011
« on: June 15, 2011, 03:45:22 AM »
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150221110763401.322301.560743400&l=7f037837ea

British Hard Rock stars Deep Purple played the first of 2 nights at the Beacon Theater tonight. They had a full orchestra backing them up.
They put on a fine show playing a variety of hits. Starting the show with Highway Star they went through a set that spanned most of their long career . They plowed through hard rock classics like Strange Kind of Woman, Lazy, Space Truckin', Women from Tokyo, and of course Smoke On The Water. They even did Hush, an early hit from 1968.
They did a new song called Rapture of the Deep which sounded a lot like Led Zeppelin's Kashmir.
While I wouldn't recommend every band go out with a full orchestra, it was fun watching the band and orchestra play along with each other. The orchestral sound added some power to the performance. The acoustics at the Beacon did total justice to mix.
The Beacon has got to be NYC's best sounding and most comfortable venue. I love the place.
Lead Vocals were performed by long time member Ian Gillian. This guy can sing. His vocals were as powerful today as they were when he recorded Smoke On The Water. He played Jesus on the original recording of Jesus Christ Superstar.
On lead guitar was Steve Morse who has been with the band since 1994. A fine guitarist, I would still have loved to have seen founding member Richie Blackmore.
This is the second time I have seen Deep Purple in concert and both times Blackmore was absent. The first time I saw them was in 1976 at Radio City. Tommy Bollin (RIP) played lead back then.
Deep Purple play mostly straight ahead good British Hard Rock. Sturdy, reliable, and never goes out of style. Even though only two original members remain, (drummer Ian Paice and Ian Gillian) The Purple still put on a masterful and fun show.