Author Topic: Just started watching The Wire....  (Read 1875 times)

hardweek

• Achilles bursitis
Just started watching The Wire....
« on: July 17, 2011, 02:48:03 AM »
in the summer of 2011 and I've done so without any spoilers, which in itself is a miracle.

I'm now on Season Two, and I want to read more about the background of the show, but I also kinda like watching this show in a complete vacuum. 

Can anyone recommend some reading that will flesh out my understanding without spoiling the story to come?

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
Re: Just started watching The Wire....
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 07:28:28 AM »
This book by Rafael Alvarez covers the first two seasons and features some essays and background:

http://www.amazon.com/Wire-Truth-Be-Told/dp/0743497325

Salon also did a very good (and thorough) primer as a lead-in to s3:

http://dir.salon.com/ent/feature/2004/10/01/the_wire/index.html

(If you can't access the above due to some subscriber firewall, let me know.)
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Alex_from_the_woods

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 09:48:18 AM »
I loved The Wire. But I do confess to having to turn on the sub-titles at times in season 1. By season 2 I had gotten fluent in Wirese and didn't need it any more. The first two seasons especially, are really good.
Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Exsanguination?

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 10:57:40 AM »
Alan Sepinwall on his old blog has gone through each season giving some color to each and every episode through Season 3. Worth reading.

WIRE COMMENTARY TO FOLLOW -- I DON'T THINK THERE'S ANY SPOILERS BUT TREAD CAREFULLY!

Direct TV's been replaying every episode. They just finished Season 4. The show's absolutely brilliant and the acting is absolutely amazing. But I'm kind of over it, after watching the series a few times.

This has nothing to do with the show. But it's more that I don't want to watch TV to remind me how much this country sucks for so many people and how hopeless our system is to change it. I want to watch TV to escape from all of that. I'll rewatch The Sopranos and Mad Men but I'm done with The Wire.

I'll also skip Season 5. It's so heavy handed.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 02:13:52 PM »
Actually that Rafael Alvarez book, which is quite valuable, is available in a later edition that covers all five seasons.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 09:12:21 PM »
Something happens at the end of the Wicker Man 1973.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

hardweek

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 09:12:46 PM »
Thank you so, so much everyone.

Omar, when I get through season two, I'll try that Salon link and get in touch if I have an issue.

Cheers!~

hardweek

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 09:52:47 PM »
Something happens at the end of the Wicker Man 1973.

D'Angelo and Shardene had sex through the wall in Orlando's?

eastgrandforks

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 12:00:45 PM »
David Simon's books, The Corner and Homicide, will certainly provide a deeper understanding of both
the police and the citizen points of view. Both books get cannibalized for minor plot points here and there.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 08:48:16 PM »
David Simon's books, The Corner and Homicide, will certainly provide a deeper understanding of both
the police and the citizen points of view. Both books get cannibalized for minor plot points here and there.

One of the most pivotal speeches of season 3 is taken pretty much word for word from THE CORNER. Also, if you read books by Richard Price and George Pelecanos you'll find they sometimes use minor bits from their books in episodes they write.