Author Topic: THE BAN AND THE BANNED.  (Read 59712 times)

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: THE BAN AND THE BANNED.
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2011, 10:43:40 PM »
John From Maplewood - two weeks
The Greggulator - two months
Dave from Knoxville - three weeks
Bonnaventure - three weeks
Michael K. of the Cynics - NO BAN

Due to his unique stature, Spike will now submit to an audition period every twenty seconds. If he fails to provide a substantial amount of entertainment during any one twenty second period, he will be hung up on.

It's fun to be unique.

Spike, you should tell Tom the story you told on Shut Up, Weirdo a few weeks back about the fight you got into on the train. That should get you at least a minute.

I've never called in, but now I kind of want to just so I can get banned like everyone else.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2011, 12:08:04 AM »
Years later, Gleason Jones' passing is still a very small knife-wound in the old ticker.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2011, 12:33:15 AM »
Years later, Gleason Jones' passing is still a very small knife-wound in the old ticker.
http://www.recidivism.org/2006/06/beardo_meets_el_goodo.html

MiddleBro

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2011, 08:57:08 AM »
Revised sentencing:

Z-Man - four months PLUS ONE ADDITIONAL WEEK

told ya so.

Okay, NOW I get it.  I thought it was Animal House, at first, then realized it was The Breakfast Club, but I didn't see the connection.  Seeing this response reminded me of what that situation might have been, so I can kinda see it, now.  I've only seen either of those movies, so much, and maybe never in full.

-Zach (Big Z)

You mess with the bull, young man...
We just need Laurie to pipe in once you've gotten your ban up to six months with "STOP!"

I'm not sure how much bull-messing I was doing.  Just confused and looking for some logic where perhaps there is none.  I'm just kind of genuinely upset about this, and I don't know why mine's the longest when I can probably count the total number of times I've called as myself, in the years I've been listening, on two hands.  I could go on, but I know I'll just get more time and no real explanation.  Aside from that, I'm losing you on what you mean about Laurie.

-Zach (Big Z)

emma

« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2011, 10:47:26 AM »
Do I have a ban? (I don't really call that much anymore but better safe than sorry.)

Sarah

« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2011, 10:49:33 AM »
Hell, I checked, and I've barely called at all.

Racan

« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2011, 01:39:44 PM »
Can't help but liken this to Stalin's Red Army Purges of the late 1930s. Hope Tom doesn't get blitzed with bad callers while opening up a vulnerable pocket in the airwaves. Whatever. Must always support Generalissimo Scharpling!

KickTheBobo

« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2011, 02:48:43 PM »
ALL HAIL THE MAD QUEEN!

Really: if you are upset at a banning/ ban time, I think it might be time to reassess where this fun radio show fits into your life. If anyone feels that they are entitled to any certain amount of call time AT ALL, then that is just plain selfish in my book. I bet there are countless wonderful weirdos out there who probably just don't call in b/c the the lines are jammed with regulars.

If you listen back through the archives, there really are some magical moments that occur with some one-shot callers.

Sarah

« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2011, 02:53:58 PM »
Hear, hear!

Racan

« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2011, 03:59:02 PM »
Agreed. I'm definitely excited to listen. I always appreciate Tom's efforts to periodically change the direction of the show.

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2011, 05:28:55 PM »
ALL HAIL THE MAD QUEEN!

Really: if you are upset at a banning/ ban time, I think it might be time to reassess where this fun radio show fits into your life. If anyone feels that they are entitled to any certain amount of call time AT ALL, then that is just plain selfish in my book. I bet there are countless wonderful weirdos out there who probably just don't call in b/c the the lines are jammed with regulars.

If you listen back through the archives, there really are some magical moments that occur with some one-shot callers.

I 100000000000% endorse this statement. It's a comedy show! It's been great to have been a part but it will be great to not call in. The show was my favorite thing in comedy before I called for the first time, it's still my favorite thing in comedy now, and it will be my favorite thing in comedy afterwards. I have no entitlements to any time on this show whatsoever.

It was a huge thrill when Tom mentioned my dumb little podcast on the show and to get involved in the protege race. And it's been really funny to hear Tom suggest people pants me at a listening party. It's been super fun to call in and to be a part of this thing... but it's also a lot of fun to listen without taking part. (And listening the next day at work really helps me get through the day and avoid my annoying co-workers.)

It's also a study of the power of "less is more." I think I can come up with a few funny things of what's the topic every week. But I called in WAAAY too much during the whole protege thing and it sucked. I can totally get down with calling in once every few months.

And people who are banned can also take part in the greater Best Show community if they still want. There's the message board and Twitter. And if you feel the need to be funny in audio form, it's pretty easy to start your own podcast.

Gah! Why the hell would anyone get upset at this?
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2011, 05:40:02 PM »
IS anybody upset at this?

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2011, 05:40:44 PM »
Yes. Far too many people are.

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2011, 05:47:30 PM »

Perhaps that is all the proof that this was a good idea?

Surely the only people that could be upset about not being on the show most weeks are Tom and the residents of Newbridge (and Mike.)
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

Sarah

« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2011, 05:59:45 PM »

Perhaps that is all the proof that this was a good idea?

Yup.