Author Topic: Best Show Listening Party in Boston?  (Read 2379 times)

georgefrombham

• Plantar Fasciitis
Best Show Listening Party in Boston?
« on: August 13, 2011, 03:04:16 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm a long-time listener of the show, but fairly new to the FOT forum.  I just moved from Birmingham, AL to Boston and was thinking it might be fun to put together a Best Show Listening Party one night at a local bar.  I just wanted to gauge interest, and see if anyone had ideas for a venue where this could work out.  Thoughts?  Ideas?  Thanks.

highwindows

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Best Show Listening Party in Boston?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 09:07:41 PM »
i would go!

maryc

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 10:29:41 AM »
I would go too!

cfranz

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 02:08:57 PM »
I met a fellow FOT at Bukowski's Pub the other night and we discussed the exact same topic.  I use meetup.com for a few other groups, would any of y'all be interested in joining if I start up a FOT in Boston area group?

Pete from Boston [and NJ]

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 12:42:15 AM »
Just curious, what's it like listening to the radio with other people? Is it like those old pictures of everyone gathering around the warm set to hear President Roosevelt condemn aggression?  I have been to any number of WFMU events that were live broadcasts, but not so much the mutual radio group-hug.

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 09:41:42 AM »
I kinda feel like a hypocrite for weighing in b/c I don't go to bars anymore but if I may offer some advice on where to have it. You probably wanna avoid downtown and Allston bars (excepting the Sillhouette Lounge) as they would be packed with BU/BC students getting their binge drink on and you'd wanna avoid a night when the Bruins are playing cuz you know it's Boston and "we love our sports".  Bukowski's (Inman Sq Cambridge) is pretty roomy but it gets really crowded and loud.  I'd recommend PA's or The Independent both in Union Sq, Somerville which is pretty accessible by car, public trans., walking.   I remember going to a lot of fun themed nights at the Independent in my pub-going days. 
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Pete from Boston [and NJ]

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 12:49:10 AM »
The Independent has DJs a lot of nights on one side, and a somewhat respectable dining business on the other.  You could hang out with other FOTs, but you couldn't listen to the show.  Bar side gets kind of loud.

Jerry at PAs will roll his eyes.  Besides, they took down the wall between the band side and the bar side.  On the plus side, there seems to be nothing but a smattering of regulars in there most weeknights, so it's not all that loud.

Or everyone could just roadtrip to the Suburban Diner on Route 17 and spend three hours on black coffee and Mai Tais. 

warmachine

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 01:47:40 PM »
I think the obvious venue to pursue is the Bull and Finch pub so we can also pick up some Cheers t-shirts.

Or Charlies in harvard square, for waffle fry-related reasons.