Author Topic: Wild Flag's "Romance"  (Read 2374 times)

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Wild Flag's "Romance"
« on: September 06, 2011, 07:00:33 PM »
Wicked, good!
Wild Flag - Romance
I love the photography, Paul Yee = top shelf!

Director: Tom Scharpling
Producers: Robert Hatch-Miller & Puloma Basu
Director Of Photography: Paul Yee
Production Designer: Jeff Hammond
Gaffer: Paul Fanning
Hair & Makeup: Nica DeMaria
Colorist: Benjamin Murray
Sound Mix: Dan Dzula
Production Assistants: Joan Hiller, Steve Dean, Peter Stefanovich
Special Thanks: Doug Fir Lounge, Jackpot Records, The Red E Cafe, Fifty Licks Ice Cream, Patrick Satterfield, Karen McClish, Steve Leathers, Craig & Cora Giffen, Dave Depper, Dennis Fitzpatrick

Kormod

Re: Wild Flag's "Romance"
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 08:28:49 PM »
This video is great!

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 10:51:45 AM »
I like the video and I love the song, but if I'm being honest this is the first one where I don't really understand the story. It feels like a take-off on either caper films or some sort of comic-book crime fighting team, but I don't know if there's a reference I'm missing or what.

This doesn't hamper my enjoyment or anything, just an observation.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 12:53:37 PM »
I liked the song once I got over my disappointment at it not being an REM B-side cover.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Big Plastic Head

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 09:39:54 PM »
I can't believe my vacuum didn't get a credit. :(
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 10:40:29 AM »
Is this Tom's homage to Trash Humpers?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

redmedicine

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 03:41:57 PM »
Notice how most of the records pulled off the shelves were Merge releases?  Love the details in Tom's videos.

wood and iron

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 07:07:04 PM »
Reminded me of The Terrible Trio from the Batman animated series.

gravy boat

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 12:25:13 PM »
I like the video and I love the song, but if I'm being honest this is the first one where I don't really understand the story. It feels like a take-off on either caper films or some sort of comic-book crime fighting team, but I don't know if there's a reference I'm missing or what.

This doesn't hamper my enjoyment or anything, just an observation.

I really like this video, because, maybe it's my own interpretation and projecting, but I get a lot from it.

Break it down for you? Surely.

The key word to this whole thing is "subversive."

These antiheroes, though they are at various points on the white collar/blue collar spectrum and the respective organizational hierarchies have something in common.  They have the need to dissipate life's pressures with various acts of collective subversion. Crime-fighting? Hardly. They are out to kick at the knee caps of society.

So, when the pressure is there, they band together to secretly blow off the steam before retreating back to the workaday world.

Now, remember "subversive," and let me break it down even more.  You have these elements:  Tom Scharpling, Portland, an otherwise upstanding citizen who has these moments of rebellion/anarchy, and, in one of the scenes, you can see a Dane Cook DVD.

That's right! This is also Tom's subversive tribute to Mr. Brooks.  Tom, like the antiheroes of the video, is saying to the Man "You know what? Yeah, you can make me do this job, film your video, but I got my own ideas, too." 

That's the way I see it.

Great video.