Author Topic: In praise of the puppet  (Read 7773 times)

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: In praise of the puppet
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 04:42:50 PM »
He forgot the Best Show Golden Rule: it's my show.

It would have been so great if you had said this instead...

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 05:01:47 PM »
He forgot the Best Show Golden Rule: it's my show.

It would have been so great if you had said this instead...

What if I said it in my head as I typed it? And then Skeevy said as he read it: "Yeah, right."
See God, Kai

Jason from Huntsville, AL

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 05:31:49 PM »
While I appreciate a lot of what John wrote in the OP, I don't exactly think Wally is "Kaufman-esque."

What I will say (and have said to Zach) is that Wally definitely has a life to him as a character. When he calls or is in the studio, it's so easy for me to almost forget that he's not "real" and that there's a dude running him. When I read his tweets, I hear them in that voice and picture the puppet typing them.

Whatever other criticism one has of Wally, I think the life that Zach has given this bit of purple fleece is a testament to his passion and talent.

Also, Tom's criticisms and the problem folks are having with the Feltdown don't really have anything to do with Zach lacking talent or passion or attacking him personally. I think it's about us fitting what we bring to the show into its context and what Tom's trying to do. We have to like the show more than we like being on the show or we have no business calling.

Also, I think we have to remember that these calls in an alternate universe (a comedy radio show) inside an alternate universe (the New Bridge-verse) and not take any of this stuff too personally or seriously. Again, context.

Zach & Wally have had some truly great moments on the Best Show and I'm fan of both of them. Also, I hope to never post anything this serious again on this board.
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Kormod

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 06:17:39 PM »
I like how earlier today on Twitter, Wally called his detractors "ingrates."

whaleplane

• Policemans heel
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 06:18:37 PM »
You're giving him WAY too much credit w/r/t the whole "Kaufmanesque" thing. While the feltdown was one a personal favorite of mine, it's just not possible for it to have been a bit.

If Middle Bro wasn't so defensive on the FoT board himself, it'd be easier to grasp the idea of Wally as an overly (sometimes comically) sensitive puppet.

Rasmussen

• Policemans heel
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 10:06:01 PM »
I hate this thesis to pieces!
I just think the thread needs to focus more on this sentence

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 01:51:58 AM »
I consigned my dissertation to damnation.

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 11:15:04 AM »
I've enjoyed the puppet, he's better than half the regular callers and does indeed have potential for further laughs in the future. However, the cringe factor was huge when the voice started to vanish last Tues. Perhaps this was Wally's intro to the major league, that he needs to bring up his game and toughen up his felt.

Lucas

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 11:40:48 AM »
I like Wally's calls for the weirdo factor, but sometimes they can just go on and on..

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 01:03:09 PM »
I like Wally, though I have put off listening to his last legendary call. Wonder if Maron would consent to interviewing him?

Mr. Spacely

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 12:51:45 PM »
I'm with the first post. The whole thing is genius. Right up there with Spike and vintage LDP calls. The fact, too, that Wally was driving Tom INSANE with the muffled phone was the funniest thing on a show that already featured a top-notch JW call.

I just love the whole notion of this "radio puppet" (brilliant!) who's seething, put-upon, desperate, and a little delusional.
If I tried, I could probably make at least six figures for shaking my moneymaker.

I'm on Twitter @asmuniz

Sarah

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 01:46:27 PM »
I  might love it if his human came off as the opposite.

whaleplane

• Policemans heel
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 12:50:13 AM »
I  might love it if his human came off as the opposite.
Exactly.

I'm with the first post. The whole thing is genius. Right up there with Spike and vintage LDP calls. The fact, too, that Wally was driving Tom INSANE with the muffled phone was the funniest thing on a show that already featured a top-notch JW call.

I just love the whole notion of this "radio puppet" (brilliant!) who's seething, put-upon, desperate, and a little delusional.
Those are some harsh words about someone (something?) that is essentially an extension of a put-upon young dude.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 09:36:19 AM »

• Has there ever been a puppet whose primary medium is the radio? What a wonderfully stupid idea.

Well, Charlie McCarthy was a star on old-timey radio but your defense of Wally will hopefully put to rest the Great Feltdown.

I'm a FOWW

...but has there ever been a puppet whose primary medium (now) is Twitter? I think some new ground is being broken.

Crusherkc

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 12:35:20 PM »

• Has there ever been a puppet whose primary medium is the radio? What a wonderfully stupid idea.

Well, Charlie McCarthy was a star on old-timey radio but your defense of Wally will hopefully put to rest the Great Feltdown.

I'm a FOWW

...but has there ever been a puppet whose primary medium (now) is Twitter? I think some new ground is being broken.

That's a bloody good point
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!