Author Topic: Mike's birthday?  (Read 5851 times)

kathleen_in_chicago

• Plantar Fasciitis
Mike's birthday?
« on: October 12, 2011, 04:58:17 PM »
There was mention on the show last night about Mike's birthday on November 4th at a bar called... ??? I couldn't quite make it out. "Masses"? "Massis"? "J. Mascis"? I don't know all these things about these places in NJ. Anyway,as it happens, a friend of mine is getting married in Basking Ridge, so I'll be roughly in the area. I wouldn't mind occuyping Mike's birthday. I think it sounds like an okay time.

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Mike's birthday?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 05:13:11 PM »
It's Massa's Tavern...

http://friendsoftom.com/forum/index.php?topic=7894.0

I'm sure Mike would love the visit, but how long will you last before you experience his darkness?
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

meamsean

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 10:45:20 PM »
if Mike had to have a tavern of his own, wouldn't it be MASCIS tavern? Didn't he and Tom first meet fighting over whether Dinosaur Jr was good or not?

kathleen_in_chicago

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 06:03:12 PM »
Indeed. And "Massa's" is kind of, you know, racist.

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 06:13:47 PM »

Have we gotten confirmation that that is the derivation of the name? I feel like it could just as easily be a play off of someone's name.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 07:51:34 PM »

Have we gotten confirmation that that is the derivation of the name? I feel like it could just as easily be a play off of someone's name.
It's Italian.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 01:33:43 AM »
Now THAT'S Italian.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Jersey John

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 06:44:07 AM »
To be perfectly frank, I am not pleased with how the last segment of Tuesday's episode of "Depravity's Rainbow" transpired. A break from calls allowed freed up some time which Mike filled by reading items from his "List". I found this to be the best part of the show aside from Mike's account "getting lucky" with a woman who had recently lost twins. Unfortunately Mike allowed himself to be "reigned in" by Therese when it came time to expand upon the subject of "Bathtub Mishap". Mike, please do not tease your fans in this way - it is nothing less than torturous to be denied the "image" you alluded to. I am going to go ahead and DEMAND that you type out the story in this thread sparing no detail. Furthermore, I personally would love to see an ongoing thread or perhaps Best Show segment in which Mike is allowed a free space, uninhibited by any obstacles to present to his fans things that have caught his interest and/or voice personal opinions. I hate to think that someone like Mike, who I personally consider to be one of the greatest minds in entertainment, is living life without adequate outlets for his thoughts and observations. This is especially outrageous to me considering that Mike may not have much longer to live if what he is saying is correct about his "Death Dream". MORE MIKE!

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »
Everyone is cordially invited to Occupy Massa's Tavern, Saturday, Nov. 5 (the day AFTER my birthday) 8 pm to ? Free food and beer (to entice the grumblers about traveling to Bayonne). The address is 563 Ave. A (at 24th St.), Bayonne, NJ. If you come via the Light Rail, take it to 22nd St., walk north 2 blocks to 24th, and west 4 blocks to Ave. A.

I'll save the Bathtub Mishap for the next time, JJ. I will not be deterred.
See God, Kai

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 03:58:43 PM »
Therese is great, but to tell the truth I too wish she were a little less censorious. Even Tom lets Wurster work a little bit blue before expressing his disgust.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 05:21:18 PM »
There's a Chuck Wepner documentary coming on ESPN.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 03:36:28 AM »
Yes, The Real Rocky is on Tues. Oct. 25 on ESPN at 8 pm. Set your dvrs.
See God, Kai

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 09:07:45 AM »
Therese is great, but to tell the truth I too wish she were a little less censorious. Even Tom lets Wurster work a little bit blue before expressing his disgust.

Let Therese be Therese! (I want shirts that say that.)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 10:01:01 AM »
Yeah, but what about letting Mike be Mike? What about that, huh?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 01:15:35 PM »
Yeah, but what about letting Mike be Mike? What about that, huh?

Yes, I am for that too! Let them be themselves and battle it out without involving outsiders. Just like Moonlighting, it's the underlying sexual tension that drives the show, don't interfere with it.