Author Topic: off-limits topics  (Read 9106 times)

sternfan86

• Plantar Fasciitis
off-limits topics
« on: November 02, 2011, 12:17:33 AM »
Why doesn't Tom allow discussion of his other work during the show? 

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
Re: off-limits topics
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 12:57:44 AM »
He feels that discussing ventures which he gets paid for and generate advertising revenue are a conflict of interest for a listener-sponsored radio station.

Paul DeLouisiana

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 07:50:47 AM »
He feels that discussing ventures which he gets paid for and generate advertising revenue are a conflict of interest for a listener-sponsored radio station.

It's weird that Andy Breckman obviously does not feel the same way. I like that Tom feels this way but I am guessing it's not something Ken says he has to do.

Crusherkc

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 09:16:42 AM »
I always assumed it was an FCC rule re: non-profit radio/tv; and if that is the case, that TS and Jon use it to their and the show's advantage by keeping that show-biz reality out of the community the callers and Newbridge characters helped create. Maybe that's why you also don't hear Jon call in as himself to promote his shows, records, etc.

But then that's just a guess on my part. , like Pudge would mumble..."I...I dunno I...I dunno...uh, dunno..."
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 09:38:33 AM »
I think Tom likes to keep those two sides separate.

That being said, other people on the show manage to mention things that are important for the FOT to be aware of.  It wouldn't be in keeping with the show (nor would it be of particular benefit) for him to say each week, "remember, reruns of Monk air at 1AM on USA all week! And my episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force airs on Cartoon Network on Monday, the 28th."

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 10:05:08 AM »
It's a WFMU rule to prevent self-promotion or backdoor advertising.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 10:18:44 AM »
Does Tom have a pen name for TV/Movie acting work?

I remember him talking about taking meetings to work on something when he was on the Julie Klausner podcast but his wiki/IMDB just show Monk and the Tim and Eric stuff
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 11:29:05 AM »
It's all me, son. IMDB just doesn't list things that are in development. And I've been developing for the last couple years. Or maybe they do list development stuff and I'm not putting it up there. I don't know but I'll find out an answer.

But regardless there will hopefully be some things listed sooner than later up there.

Tom.

Mr. Spacely

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 12:07:04 PM »
It's sort of staggering to me how Tom and Jon have even resisted plugging the CD releases of their own stuff from this very show all these years, especially when times were less sunny. Even when I hear Tom reference Jon at the end of the Gems podcast I always gasp a little.  Talk about principles, as well as commitment to the bit!
If I tried, I could probably make at least six figures for shaking my moneymaker.

I'm on Twitter @asmuniz

CSW

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »
It's all me, son. IMDB just doesn't list things that are in development. And I've been developing for the last couple years. Or maybe they do list development stuff and I'm not putting it up there. I don't know but I'll find out an answer.

But regardless there will hopefully be some things listed sooner than later up there.

Tom.

Thanks for the clarification Tom. I did not mean any offence by suggesting you had a pen name, I was just confused (which does not take much.)

I look forward to your new projects. Can you talk about them on here, given you can't on air? Assuming you want to....
"You know it's like, if you had a choice between 4 slobs dressed as lumberjacks and 4 shirtless good looking guys in tight black jeans and high-top leather sneakers, who would you choose?"

sternfan86

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 01:09:43 PM »
Good info - thx guys.  I see the distinction between the listener supported concept versus the endless schilling that other radio personalities do. 

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 01:45:26 PM »
It's a WFMU rule to prevent self-promotion or backdoor advertising.

Is Andy Breckman grandfathered in or just tolerated?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 02:12:22 PM »
I was wondering about that.  It seems to me that while Monk was on the air, it wasn't so much that Andy mentioned it a lot as that Ken would mention it to needle Andy--about how popular it was with old ladies, etc.  Dunno whether that's a meaningful distinction though.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 02:21:18 PM »
I think there's a common-sense distinction -- obviously the USA Network doesn't need WFMU to promote its shows, and Ken needling Andy never led to either of them saying anything like "Mondays at 10! Check local listings." And WFMU DJs are allowed to have lives. During my short-lived, mostly-failed show, I was careful never to plug anything of mine, but I made no secret of the fact that I'm a playwright. DJ/Rupture would be another example -- he doesn't plug his work, but mentions panels and festivals he's worked, especially when he brings guests in. I also think that most FMU DJs don't talk much about their off-air lives because (1) it's dull radio, and (2) they want privacy.

I don't want to speak for Tom, but he has said many times in interviews that he tries to be really careful about staying on the inside of that line. I also know from listening to 7SD that Andy, or at least his on-air persona, is mostly ignorant of/indifferent to WFMU rules.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 02:23:59 PM »
By the way: super-psyched about all these upcoming projects. This one has already been posted, yes?

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/comedy-central-developing-evil-genius-comedy-starring-paul-f-tompkins/