Author Topic: Chris Gethard's Target Ad  (Read 4174 times)

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Chris Gethard's Target Ad
« on: December 14, 2011, 10:56:24 PM »
Greg,

I totally just saw your brother climaxing over a gift in a Target ad. It was awkward. But he's good in it!

Greggulator

Re: Chris Gethard's Target Ad
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 10:10:09 AM »
Whenever it airs and someone I know sees it, I get a bunch of texts. I've seen if a few times. I like it!

I can't begin to stress enough how weird it is to be watching What Not To Wear or Next Iron Chef or whatever it is my wife is making me watch that night and see your brother pop up. He was in a few NBA commercials for ESPN (playing a creepy SuperFan) but that at least made a little sense to me since we've watched an unhealthy amount of basketball together over the years.

On another shameless plug: He has a book coming out in January called "A Bad Idea I Am About to Do." I am one of the handful of people who has read it. IT IS AWESOME. It's a collection of short stories, most of which he's told at various UCB shows over the year. So if you know him from there then you know how good they are! I am a side character in roughly half of the stories if you can't get enough of me!

You can pre-order it on Amazon and it will also be on the Kindle.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

gravy boat

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:17:30 PM »
He has also cracked the Wikipedia of West Orange, NJ, in the list of "Notable Residents."  He has joined such luminaries as Carole King, Thomas Edison, Ian Ziering, Vin Rock of Naughty by Nature, and Charles Cullen, "serial killer who grew up on Kling Street."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Orange,_New_Jersey

Hugman 3.0

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 03:39:59 PM »
Was wondering if that was him.

Greggulator

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 04:17:01 PM »
He has also cracked the Wikipedia of West Orange, NJ, in the list of "Notable Residents."  He has joined such luminaries as Carole King, Thomas Edison, Ian Ziering, Vin Rock of Naughty by Nature, and Charles Cullen, "serial killer who grew up on Kling Street."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Orange,_New_Jersey

My mom and dad went to grade school with Charles Cullen! She knew his family -- he had a lot of siblings and she was friendly with one of them. My mom grew up around the corner from Kling Street.

Also on the list who I know (or know secondhand):

DAVID CASSIDY -- The former teen idol went to the same grade school as my parents, before moving away to become a future superstar. He came to my drama class in high school and spoke to us. I have a picture with him somewhere. He was REALLY awful and full of himself.

LEO FITZPATRICK -- He's not on the list but was at one point. He's better known as "Tully" from Kids and played Johnny, Bubbles' junkie buddy in the first three seasons of The Wire. He was in my grade. I knew his family really well and was friendly with his older brother. Leo, not so much. He was really obnoxious. However, he did go to the senior prom with the future maid-of-honor at my wedding.

MIKE PITT -- Currently on Boardwalk Empire, which I've never seen. He was a grade or two below me. I didn't know him so well but I did go out on a few dates with his sister. She broke my heart. She's #3 on my High Fidelity list.

IAN ZIERING -- He's been known to frequent the "nightclubs" in West Orange which are populated with aging guidos and balding men desperately clinging on to their last shreds of youth. During the peak of his fame, he made a commercial for a credit card which ended with someone saying "Aren't you" and he interrupted by saying "Ian Ziering, West Orange, 07052." They sold shirts for a bit that had 07052 in the 90210 font. A bunch of my high school teachers had him and said he was pretty much exactly like the Steve Sanders character he played, but more into musical theater.

SCOTT WOLF -- Bailey from Party of Five also went to my town. He was supposedly quiet and people were pretty surprised he was briefly famous.

VIN FROM NAUGHTY BY NATURE -- My friend Kate lived on his block. She said he was super nice and had really cute kids. I once saw Treach at the Livingston Mall. He was really, really, really short.

BILLY RAFFERTY -- The legendary basketball announcer didn't grow up in West Orange but lived there for a while (and I think he still does). My grandmother and his sister were really good friends. Billy also is an alum of the same college as me. I met him at a function at my school once for 45 seconds of EXTREMELY awkward conversation. He's a really nice guy, though, from what people who know him better than I do have told me.

BRENDAN BYRNE/DICK CODEY -- I've met both of the former governors of New Jersey through the years. Brendan knew my grandmother from church. He was a very personable guy. Codey, not so much. I've heard a lot of bad, bad, bad things about Codey from people in the know. He's a HUGE basketball fan and I briefly chatted about Seton Hall hoops with him when I met him. (The rest of the topic was about grant money for sewer repair work in Essex County.)

UNCLE FLOYD VIVINO-- I have never met him but a lot of my friends have seen his live show and say he's the absolute best. (I assume my brother has, but not sure.) He's a boyhood hero and a huge inspiration to me to this day.

ROBERT PEARLMAN -- I have no idea why this guy's on Wikipedia, but he apparently runs some sort of space memorabilia website. I knew him really well. He once wore a spacesuit to school (a legitimate NASA spacesuit) on the day we had an eclipse and warned a teacher to not stare at the sun.  On paper, he sounds awesome. On paper.

Zach mond

• Policemans heel
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 12:41:49 AM »
greg stop name dropping. let me beat your tender uncordinated butt on the b ball court. this chrimbus you lose terribly to mit hamine. cri tic go turn the ball bover

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 08:19:54 AM »
LEO FITZPATRICK -- He's not on the list but was at one point. He's better known as "Tully" from Kids and played Johnny, Bubbles' junkie buddy in the first three seasons of The Wire. He was in my grade. I knew his family really well and was friendly with his older brother. Leo, not so much. He was really obnoxious. However, he did go to the senior prom with the future maid-of-honor at my wedding.

MIKE PITT -- Currently on Boardwalk Empire, which I've never seen. He was a grade or two below me. I didn't know him so well but I did go out on a few dates with his sister. She broke my heart. She's #3 on my High Fidelity list.

So I noticed these guys were 17/16 when they first started acting. Was this a big deal around school? I would imagine that Leo being in Kids would be a pretty big deal around school, with the sex scenes and all. I was thinking Pitt's run on Dawson's Creek(starring John Wesley Shipp) was filmed when he was highschool age but it look more like he would've been 19 or 20.

Greggulator

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 11:52:40 AM »

So I noticed these guys were 17/16 when they first started acting. Was this a big deal around school? I would imagine that Leo being in Kids would be a pretty big deal around school, with the sex scenes and all. I was thinking Pitt's run on Dawson's Creek(starring John Wesley Shipp) was filmed when he was highschool age but it look more like he would've been 19 or 20.

I went to grade school and middle school with Leo. He was really two-faced to me. He was definitely a funny dude and he thought I was, too, so in small groups he was really nice to me. But he was also a cool kid and when he was in that setting or wanted to impress a girl he'd make fun of me a lot. He was also the first joke thief I ever encountered -- not that my 8th grade comedy material wasn't completely stolen from David Letterman or old SNL episodes, but he'd repeat things I said and in my pre-teen pettiness I hated him for it.

Leo got in some trouble early in high school and went to some school for problem kids. He'd show up in a class or two periodically but he was on the fringes of actually being in our high school. I still knew him when we were teenagers though because I was friends with a lot of skaters who hung out with him. He was a fairly funny dude but he thought he was sooooo awesome and we used to make fun of him behind his back. We had this fake GWAR-inspired band and we went to some Battle of the Bands in the town next to ours that we completely ruined. One of the bands was called "Crunchy Lettuce" so we brought lettuce to give to them and about $75 worth of produce and marshmallows to throw at them. Leo thought this was awesome and was talking to me about it. But when he wasn't looking I hit him in the head with a tomato.

My friend Kir (who set me and my wife up) knew him from our little skate/punk/weirdo collection. She was also at one point a cool kid (transforming into becoming a dork when she heard The Descendents) so she knew him better than any of us and somehow asked him to go to the prom with her. I don't think I ever ran into him after that.

I remember hearing from Kir he was going to be in some movie but didn't think anything about it since I only saw him occasionally. It came out the summer before I started college and we couldn't believe it was that big a deal. I don't even remember if I saw the movie.

I didn't even know Mike Pitt was anything big until I was well into college. I only knew him a little bit since I hung out with his sister.  I think he started acting when he was out of high school and somehow ended up getting some good breaks and he's a really good looking dude. I heard he was on Dawson's Creek but didn't watch that show until about three years after it ended and it was on TBS during the morning.

But they weren't in any of our high school musicals or anything like that. It's really weird they became quasi-famous.

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 12:12:36 PM »
I heard he was on Dawson's Creek but didn't watch that show until about three years after it ended and it was on TBS during the morning.

I got weirdly obsessed with this show in college as it came on TBS or WB every morning before my classes.

Greggulator

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 12:58:46 PM »
I heard he was on Dawson's Creek but didn't watch that show until about three years after it ended and it was on TBS during the morning.

I got weirdly obsessed with this show in college as it came on TBS or WB every morning before my classes.

The first episode I ever watched was the series finale and I got hooked. An odd pattern of events.

I fucking hated Dawson and Joey though.

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 01:27:57 PM »

The first episode I ever watched was the series finale and I got hooked. An odd pattern of events.

I fucking hated Dawson and Joey though.

The Joey character may only be surpassed by Winnie Cooper is the race of the "pursued girls that are totally not worth being pursued."
I'd totally take Michelle Williams over her. And literally every girl Kevin went after was a better catch than Winnie.
Upon recently rewatching, I nearly broke my tv everytime I saw Kevin give this vixen the cold shoulder: