Author Topic: Drive  (Read 13623 times)

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Drive
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 11:50:01 AM »
Anybody who would question the comedic skills of Albert Brooks has no place on my planet.

LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT.

Tom.

Mr. Colin

• Policemans heel
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 02:00:29 PM »
I mean, what he pulls off here at 3:15 or so is really nothing short of a miracle (don't fast forward to it, it works more in context):

Albert Brooks New National Anthem

ESPECIALLY in 1972, but come on, who could walk that line today?

MrGtD

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 10:43:38 PM »
I absolutely loved Drive.  LOVED IT.

That said, I completely understand everyone that thought it was pretentious garbage.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 01:08:51 AM »
I absolutely loved Drive.  LOVED IT.

That said, I completely understand everyone that thought it was pretentious garbage.

I loved Drive for the first hour. Then in the last 40 minutes or so, it lost me. I think it was the degree of violence that really bothered me. I thought it was senseless and unnecessary, and actually detracted from the film.

With that being said, I can't particularly quibble with the quality of the acting. Gosling, Mulligan, Cranston, et al. were great. And I'll echo what many others have said, Albert Brooks was absolutely robbed of an Oscar nomination. I've seen a ton of Albert Brooks movies and that's the best acting I've ever seen the man do. He really was fantastic as Bernie Rose.

In conclusion, using Gary Tha Squirrel's rating scale, I give Drive two and a half nuts.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 06:14:35 AM »
In conclusion, using Gary Tha Squirrel's rating scale, I give Drive two and a half nuts.

Did pretty decent, too--70 mil domestic & foreign so far, on a production budget of 15 million.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 12:57:47 PM »

Did pretty decent, too--70 mil domestic & foreign so far, on a production budget of 15 million.

Indeed.

I suspect it will also make quite a bit of money in home video sales.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

ben

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2012, 12:58:39 AM »
Just saw it and loved it.  The soundtrack at the beginning was my favourite part. 

But I thought the whole movie was so much fun!  Good, bad - either way I was riveted.

* I originally watched it on dvd and then went out today and saw it at the cheap theatre.  Being able to watch it on the big screen as opposed to at home with other distractions I found it even better.  And I wouldn't say it was fun, but still riveting.  And I thought it was great.
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

break

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2012, 02:55:51 PM »
Loved it. 

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2012, 08:28:37 AM »
I am always impressed when mainstream movies push the limit and totally suprise me. I've recently loved Drive, SourceCode and Inception, movies I didn't think I would like.

**SPOILERS** p.s. The only thing that bothered me about Source Code was the end. So does Jake Gyllenhal just go on living as the guy he doesn't know anything about? Poor girl. She is in this relationship with a total stranger. Poor EVERYONE who used to know and love the man who used to own the body that Gyllenhal now owns. Right?

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2012, 08:30:30 AM »
**SPOILERS** p.s. The only thing that bothered me about Source Code was the end. So does Jake Gyllenhal just go on living as the guy he doesn't know anything about? Poor girl. She is in this relationship with a total stranger. Poor EVERYONE who used to know and love the man who used to own the body that Gyllenhal now owns. Right?

I was bothered by the end of Source Code also. Did you see his previous movie Moon? I was hoping Source Code would be better because Moon was so great.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2012, 09:39:03 AM »
Oh I didn't realize it was the same guy. I loved Moon. Sam Rockwell's best performance imho.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2012, 10:55:27 AM »
Oh I didn't realize it was the same guy. I loved Moon. Sam Rockwell's best performance imho.

I just saw Sam Rockwell in a Law & Order rerun from the early 90s.  "Hey, that's Sam Rockwell."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2012, 11:39:47 AM »

I just saw Sam Rockwell in a Law & Order rerun from the early 90s.  "Hey, that's Sam Rockwell."

I saw him in Made a few weeks ago. "Is that Sam Rockwell?"

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2012, 06:51:02 PM »

I saw him in Made a few weeks ago. "Is that Sam Rockwell?"

I really liked Swingers even on rewatching.  I thought Made was one of the least enjoyable movies I've ever seen.   Hard to catch lightning in a bottle twice.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2012, 01:47:58 PM »

The first thing I thought after watching source code was what the hell happened to the guy he replaced? Was his in Gyllenhaal's partial body? Did he then die? Somehow the guy Jake replaced got totally dicked over...
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."