Author Topic: Tube Bar Tapes  (Read 3591 times)

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Tube Bar Tapes
« on: July 11, 2011, 11:05:52 AM »
I am sure that lots of people here have known about this for a long time.

I was goofing around on the internet and found this recently, its really funny.  For the uninitiated, its a series of prank calls done in the 70's to a bar in Jersey city.  Its very similar to the pranks that Bart Simpson does to Moe on the Simpsons.

Its funny how angry the proprietor gets, his voice is amazing.

It brings to mind Massa's Tavern.

Anyways, check it out.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dvjs0a11jng
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: Tube Bar Tapes
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 11:24:21 AM »
Yeah, they're pretty ancient.  Bart's calls to Moe were specifically modeled on these.  Objectionable on nearly every level, but they do make me laugh.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 02:01:49 PM »
I remember seeing something on a VHS tape where they set these to still photographs of actors "performing" the calls, kinda like if La Jetee was about The Jerky Boys or something. In any case, Lawrence Tierney played the part of Red, which is just about the best casting I can conceive of.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Smelodies

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 10:53:40 PM »
I acquired a copy during the Jerky Boys craze.  Didn't think it was as good.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 01:05:52 PM »
I remember seeing something on a VHS tape where they set these to still photographs of actors "performing" the calls, kinda like if La Jetee was about The Jerky Boys or something. In any case, Lawrence Tierney played the part of Red, which is just about the best casting I can conceive of.

That was "Red." That was one of Film Threat's first releases. I remember watching it with friends and we were disappointed because we had been under the impression that Tierney was actually recreating the calls. We already had the calls so we'd essentially paid $25.00 for some pix of Tierney.