Author Topic: No Country For Old Men Movie Clips  (Read 11367 times)

Petey

Re: No Country For Old Men Movie Clips
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2007, 08:25:04 PM »
all you people coming up with ideas about the purpose of the movie...JEEBZ.

all i know is that that was the sexiest movie ive seen in years.

Sarah

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2007, 09:41:17 PM »
Thank you, Petey.  I haven't seen the movie yet--and won't till it hits the miniature screen--but when I do I know that I'll just be hoping to have a good time.  To hell with meaning; I just want to have fun.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2007, 09:51:24 PM »
My friend Danny made a convincing case that he represented the invisible hand of the marketplace, i.e., the violence that underlies the capitalist economy, and that he punished anyone who tried to keep money out of circulation.

Can you explain that further? Does your friend think that Llewelyn would have hid the money under his bed permanently?

Well, it was my friend's argument, one I don't entirely agree with, but I'll try.  Actually, I think they're two different arguments: one, that Chigurh is the latent violence that underlies capitalist economies - that is, that exchange is a way for people to take things they want from one another without blood being shed.  When people refuse this exchange, then Whoa Differences!  The other one is based on Lewis Hyde's The Gift, another book that has been on my reading list for years but I have yet to read, so take this with a grain of salt.  But Hyde's book is about Gift economies, and basically I think he's saying that resources or capital or whatever have to constantly be in circulation.  When capital is hoarded, things start to go bad.  I honestly don't know where the consumer model of spending and debt fits into this worldview.  But this does make a little sense in re. the depiction of the "old" world of the Sheriff et al, and of the Mexican "Other" in the film.  That is, gift economies are possible in small, homogeneous communities, but those tend to be racist and mistrustful of outsiders.  On the other hand, capitalism does have the tendency to neutralize differences - this is not to say that capitalism is free of racism, but it does tend to favor equal playing fields and neutral, quantifiable methods of exchange - it makes things like globalization possible.  But it is savage and brutal and makes the old gift economies impossible.

How'd I do?  Still awake?

Edited for grammar and typos
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2007, 07:06:35 AM »
"There is no such thing as a county law."

Don't know where you get this idea; it's certainly not true in most of the south, where there is frequently a city government and a county government, with separate legal systems. I know it's true in at least some Texas counties; my assumption would have been it was true for all.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2007, 11:37:39 AM »
"There is no such thing as a county law."

Don't know where you get this idea; it's certainly not true in most of the south, where there is frequently a city government and a county government, with separate legal systems. I know it's true in at least some Texas counties; my assumption would have been it was true for all.

It's true within the reality of the book.
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2007, 01:22:37 PM »
Oh. Well, Cormac ought to know better, he spent significant time right here in Knoxville. Maybe Cormac from Knoxville will call in one week!

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2007, 12:00:48 AM »
From imdb, looks like the Coens are continuing the Cormac McLovin'... sorta:

Coen Brothers to Make Spaghetti Western

Filmmaking siblings Joel and Ethan Coen are set to make their goriest film ever - a Spaghetti Western featuring scenes of primitive torture methods. The brothers, whose notoriously gory new film No Country for Old Men has been tipped for Oscar glory, are desperate to make a film about the days of cowboys and Indians battling it out in the Wild West of America. But - as Joel warns - it won't be one for the faint-hearted. He says, "We've written a western with a lot of violence in it. There's scalping and hanging ... it's good. Indians torturing people with ants, cutting their eyelids off." Ethan adds, "It's a proper western, a real western, set in the 1870s. It's got a scene that no one will ever forget because of one particular chicken."

First of all, methinks this writer used the term "spaghetti western" very loosely here.  Second, this already sounds like a better adaption of Blood Meridian than whatever abomination Ridley Scott no doubt has lined up.  And check out that last sentence... the lessons of STROSZEK clearly continue to inspire filmmakers everywhere.