Author Topic: No Country For Old Men Movie Clips  (Read 11366 times)

bruce

No Country For Old Men Movie Clips
« on: May 22, 2007, 08:21:27 AM »
I know Chris L read the book also. Heres the new Coens Brothers flick

http://www.commeaucinema.com/bandes-annonces=76586.html

Looks just like I imagined when I read it. It's a dark story this is no Ladykillers

Coin Flip scene looks to be exactly like the book description.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
Re: No Country For Old Men Movie Clips
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 12:53:50 AM »
I still haven't read it!  I kept meaning to get around to it - especially before the movie came out - but then The Road was released and I think I finally read Suttree somewhere in that time as well.   

In any case it's the very next thing I have waiting for me after Gilead by Marilynne Robinson - which I started today and after 20 pages is already astounding. 

jed

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 10:02:02 AM »

after Gilead by Marilynne Robinson - which I started today and after 20 pages is already astounding. 

I read Gilead last year and I agree.
"My president is going to be one half Don West, one half the singer from Venom, thank you very much, good day sir!"

bruce

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 10:10:43 AM »
I still haven't read it!

:o I'm shocked Chris I thought you read it when it came out in PB. I so want to read THe Road but I'm waiting till after Oprah book club so I can find a used copy from all the housewives who read it.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 12:24:47 AM »
I decided to read the entire book today.  Great stuff, unsurprisingly.  What a brutal imagination. Thematically, it can be considered a kind of prelude to The Road, no?   

Here's a roundup of the overwhelmingly positive movie reviews from Cannes, with some calling it a masterpiece:
http://daily.greencine.com/archives/003764.html

Looks like the movie will be extremely faithful, although I wonder how the Coens will handle the ending.  Also, can someone give Garret Dillahunt some major roles? 

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 12:10:03 AM »
Interesting conversation between the Coens and McCarthy in TIME.  Appropriately enough, he's a Malick fan:
http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1673269,00.html

Phantom Hugger

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 12:40:51 AM »
I think I finally read Suttree somewhere in that time as well.   

I read Blood Meridian and loved it. I would love to see a "Dead Man" style western made from it.

After reading the "Outer Dark" and feeling rather unimpressed I tried to read the meandering and frustrating "Suttree"; with about 20 pages left I decided that this one trick pony wasn't getting any more of my time and put that snooze down.

Just when I thought I had gotten off the McCarthy bus, I read someone else's copy of "The Road" while on vacation. I read it in one sitting, intense in all the right ways, disturbing and touching. I think this is as close to a happy ending that this guy's ever going to get.

Now I have to play catch up and read "No Country..." before I see the movie.

Am I back on the bus? Maybe.

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 12:57:06 AM »

Now I have to play catch up and read "No Country..." before I see the movie.

You really should; it's a tremendous piece of work, one of the few actual "can't-put-down" books I've read.

I'm glad to see that this movie is getting such great reviews. I'm a huge Coen Bros. fan, so I was looking forward to seeing this before I'd even heard of the book. It's good to know that they're doing right by the source material.

Edit: Just watched the "coin toss" scene...Javier Bardem is my new hero.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

Jouster

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 04:10:21 AM »
Saw a screening on Saturday.  Easily my favorite movie this year, which isn't at all surprising.  I saw it with some people who hadn't read the book and others who had and all agreed that it was stellar.  Can't wait to see it again!

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 09:49:14 AM »

I read Blood Meridian and loved it. I would love to see a "Dead Man" style western made from it.

After reading the "Outer Dark" and feeling rather unimpressed I tried to read the meandering and frustrating "Suttree"; with about 20 pages left I decided that this one trick pony wasn't getting any more of my time and put that snooze down.

It's 500+ pages!  How could you have given up with 20 left? 

I've "only" read six of his books so far (still never read the last part of the Border Trilogy) and No Country was definitely the easiest.  I didn't know before that TIME article whether he had any interest in movies, but that was the only one that seemed not only adaptable but practically tailor-made for the screen.  I'm glad the Coens appear to have nailed it. 

I suppose a Blood Meridian movie is inevitable - last I heard, Ridley Scott was working on it - but I'm not looking forward to it.  Funny enough, in Patton Oswalt's awesome list of "dream" movies on his MySpace blog he picked Terrence Malick for the job.

Phantom Hugger

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 09:56:12 AM »

It's 500+ pages!  How could you have given up with 20 left? 

I remember thinking the same thing but feeling that I had to quit on principle. I couldn't imagine what might have happened in those last 20 pages that would have made the previous 480 seem worth while.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 08:43:00 AM »
I've heard some talk that John Hillcoat (the guy that did The Proposition) is going to direct a film version of The Road. Could be interesting.

I don't see how anyone could make a movie of Blood Meridian, though. If it's faithful to the book, no one will release it. If they try to make it palatable, it'll be bowdlerized to the point where it has nothing to do with the book.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

bruce

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 12:30:11 PM »
I've heard some talk that John Hillcoat (the guy that did The Proposition) is going to direct a film version of The Road. Could be interesting.
Guy Pearce has already been cast as the Father

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 11:20:49 PM »

Really? When I was reading the book, I was imagining someone a lot older. Maybe that's because I'd read that the book was about McCarthy's relationship with his own son.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 10:05:09 AM »

Really? When I was reading the book, I was imagining someone a lot older. Maybe that's because I'd read that the book was about McCarthy's relationship with his own son.

Originally they were talking to Viggo Mortensen but I guess that ain't happenin.' Andy Milonakis has already been cast as the son.