Author Topic: The FOT Candy Exchange  (Read 3744 times)

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
The FOT Candy Exchange
« on: October 10, 2012, 12:28:46 AM »
In case you weren't in the chat during tonight's show there was a discussion about candies of the world. FOT sweet tooths were piqued as many of us want to try the sweet offerings from around the world. So a candy exchange was proposed. Let's make this thing work!

Tell us about your favorite candy and why we should treat ourselves to it. Tell us about a mythical treat you've heard about but never tried. That should get the ball rolling on some candy swap action!

I suggest the exchange of contact info be conducted via the private message function available in the FOT Forum. Other than that chat away here about what wonderful candies your nation/region has to offer.

Coffee Crisp: I haven't had one in years. I know they're available in Canada. Let me know if there's a particular U.S. candy you've been wanting to try. A couple of supermarkets in my area carry imported candies. I'll make a list of what I find and post it on here later in case there's anything on there that strikes your fancy.

AspiringCanadian

• Policemans heel
Re: The FOT Candy Exchange
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 03:10:05 PM »
Seems like a fun idea.  It reminds me of Goldenberg Peanut Chews which I guess is a regional thing on the east coast.  I guess they just came back with their original name (Goldenberg) after Just Born bought them out in 2003.  Here's a link:  http://blogs.forward.com/the-jew-and-the-carrot/161474/putting-the-goldenberg-back-into-peanut-chews/

I'm originally from Minnesota, and these are really popular:  http://www.pearsonscandy.com/nutroll.aspx I've only seen them in MN, but I'd be willing to pick up a bunch when I'm back home. 

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 07:25:03 PM »
Peanut Chews regularly appear on shelves at Big Lots stores here in the Dallas area. I think I buy them all.

I think I've seen Salted Nut Rolls down here. I'll be paying more attention to my local market's candy offerings now.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 02:24:16 PM »
Being a Minnesotan, I would have never guessed that Salted Nut Rolls are a local thing. I know Pearsons is local, but I thought they were local like 3M and Target are local.

AspiringCanadian

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 03:36:55 PM »
Nut rolls very well could be national, but the only place I've seen them is in MN and maybe WI.  The limited edition chocolate covered ones are my favorite.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 10:33:54 AM »
I want to try a Ginger Sling With a Pineapple Heart.

~L

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 04:23:35 PM »
http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Sharing-the-Love-Muths-Candies

After reading this article I ordered the amazing Modjeskas. Worth every penny including the shipping fee!

Mr. Colin

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 10:21:13 AM »
Austria has many yummy delights (although I dimly recall a Wurster call about bizarre Austrian chocolates that, although inaccurate in detail, did ring true for a certain segment of the Austrian candy avant-garde -- ask me about Rhumba Pflaumen and the "Kunst Stoff" candy bar by Zotter) which I would gladly exchange for some North American stuff -- regional, mind you, we get the stuff y'all get everywhere.