Author Topic: FOT 2013 Summer of Reading Challenge!  (Read 1871 times)

~L

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
FOT 2013 Summer of Reading Challenge!
« on: June 19, 2013, 04:55:33 PM »
Post your summer reading goal challenges here!  What will you read and how much? This summer I am reading only new books for at least 30 minutes a day. 

~L

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: FOT 2013 Summer of Reading Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 11:13:04 PM »
Just finished my first Neil Gaiman book, "The Ocean at the End of the Lane".  Summer reading off to a good start!

~L

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: FOT 2013 Summer of Reading Challenge!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 12:22:49 PM »
I know that a lot of you are busy reading this summer...
I read Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks, it's about all the ways people suffer from hallucinations that are not psychosis induced, fascinating.
I admit that I read Angelopolis by Danielle Trussoni, because I met someone who believes that god's angels exist and are among us, and I was curious about this belief, but the book was disappointing, and probably not the next "Twilight" franchise, although plenty of action angel fight scenes abound.
I also read Stephen King's new novel "Joyland" with the lovely retro paperback cover.
I read Stephen King's On Writing this weekend, Tom has suggested it to FOT's many times, and it is really great!  The autobiographical aspect and how King says these things that may have influenced what he wrote was powerful. Some very valuable tips were on avoiding adverbs, and turning off the TV to sit in a quiet room to write your 2,000 words a day out longhand! And then Edit, Edit, Edit! 
Speaking of television, now I am reading the memoir by Piper Kerman that launched the Netflix mini series "Orange is the New Black."  The show was so entertaining that the memoir is the reality check, but just as engrossing.