Author Topic: Sound collage samples  (Read 128690 times)

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Audio Collage Pieces
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2013, 08:13:46 PM »
All the previous things said I also like Chris Hardwick overall. He gets a lifetime pass for 'The Pi Song', more or less one of the nerdiest things ever truth be told.
I generally agree - but holy crap, the audio clips used in the collage are the greatest take down of anyone ever. I know it's reducing a guy to a few words. But my god, that's a hell of a reduction.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2013, 08:50:11 PM »
I had a baby and bought a house,"
ˋˏsˎˊˋˏpˎˊˋˏrˎˊˋˏiˎˊˋˏnˎˊˋˏgˎˊ ˋˏbˎˊˋˏrˎˊˋˏeˎˊˋˏaˎˊˋˏkˎˊ
Simultaneously?

Amazing.

I hope you made movies.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2013, 11:29:17 PM »

ˋˏsˎˊˋˏpˎˊˋˏrˎˊˋˏiˎˊˋˏnˎˊˋˏgˎˊ ˋˏbˎˊˋˏrˎˊˋˏeˎˊˋˏaˎˊˋˏkˎˊ

This is a nice textualization of the Franco/Alien voice.

Textualization? That's not right ... What's the word I'm looking for?

Anyway, welcome back to the board, YesNo
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Austin From Chicago

• Policemans heel
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2013, 11:30:25 PM »
The Nerdist podcast gets on my nerves. I subscribe but only listen if the guest is fantastic. Patton Oswalt's appearance and the story about his tenure on MadTV was great. The Zucker brothers interview was also great. But it's really only great when Hardwick, Mira and Ray get out of the way and just let the guest tell stories - but that's also the show's weakness, because a distinctive personality/viewpoint is what makes Maron great as an interviewer/conversationalist, while Hardwick seems to think hysterical enthusiasm and Simpsons references adequately comprise a personality. As an interviewer he pitches nothing but softballs.

The other thing that really tests me with the Nerdist is that Hardwick and Mira, particularly, do this thing where they laugh nervously through their teeth immediately after saying something "funny," which makes me super-tense, because it just reeks of insecurity. And they can't ever make a joke without making a joke about the joke they just made. The fetishization of "nerds" is intensely grating too - we get it, you guys like comic books and gaming and sci-fi; stop acting like you earned something important.

Having said that, Hardwick's standup can be funny sometimes and I kind of like his song parodies once in a while.

Oh, and the audio collage pieces are just getting better and better.
LN5OG

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2013, 12:16:46 AM »
Hardwick, Mira and Ray ...

The other thing that really tests me with the Nerdist is that Hardwick and Mira, particularly, do this thing ...

WHY are there three of them? The format of that show has never made any sense to me. They've landed some great guests, but it continually eludes me why anyone would want to place themselves in that 3 against 1 situation.

I've heard enjoyable things from Mira, J-Ray and the 'wick in other contexts ... but regarding the flagship show of the Nerdist podcast network ... the show that obstensibly serves as a tentpole: why are there three of them?

[/quote]

Oh, and the audio collage pieces are just getting better and better.

Yes they do.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2013, 05:08:24 AM »
The Nerdist interviews can lead to some good moments once they get going, but good lord the opening 10 minutes or so when all three of them are giddy and trying to riff all over the place is really hard to sit through.

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2013, 11:49:25 AM »
The Hate Pit tour is from the show with the memorable broadcast date of 1/11/11.

Thanks Cavorting.  The Hate Pit Tour is more like that Conan/Andy Richter bit when they would drive around with a green screen behind them.  "Oh no, it's Olivia Munn...she's talking about Star Wars"
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2013, 02:04:35 PM »
So no one has a clue as to the "sex slave" call?  I could be wrong on both counts but I think it is early Howard Stern and a young Scharpling.

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2013, 03:32:37 PM »
So no one has a clue as to the "sex slave" call?  I could be wrong on both counts but I think it is early Howard Stern and a young Scharpling.

That's definitely not Howard Stern. Howard had a much more nasally voice in the 80s.

I'm pretty sure - based only on the host's speech pattern - that it's W. Alan B. Colmes (of Hannity & Colmes fame) during his period as a shock jock on WABC in the 1980s.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2013, 05:51:53 PM »

That's definitely not Howard Stern. Howard had a much more nasally voice in the 80s.

I'm pretty sure - based only on the host's speech pattern - that it's W. Alan B. Colmes (of Hannity & Colmes fame) during his period as a shock jock on WABC in the 1980s.

It's definitely Alan Colmes. It's funny, because I first became aware of Alan Colmes in the mid-90s, when the only radio station I could get at my temp job played a show he did with Barry Farber, another radio host whom Tom has mentioned on occasion.

It was a runup to Hannity & Colmes, only with a (somewhat) genteel Southern conservative instead of a braying, moronic jackass.

I don't care what your politics are, if you can't recognize that Sean Hannity is a moron, _you_ are a moron.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »

I don't care what your politics are, if you can't recognize a moron, _you_ are a moron.
Yep.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

John Junk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2013, 08:10:46 PM »
Ugh, "mouth breathers". 
Sword of Almonds, Show Me The Things...

John Junk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2013, 08:15:45 PM »
I enjoyed Hardwick's work on Shipmates.
Sword of Almonds, Show Me The Things...

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2013, 09:00:57 PM »

This is kind of funnier. But I do think it is Tom on the call. I like that prank calls to dumb radio shows was his hobby.

cameron

• Policemans heel
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2013, 11:07:20 PM »
I'm want to find the tour of the Hate Pit from a few years ago. I think it's an antecedent to the Collage of 2013.

YES the collage instantly reminded me of Hate Pit tour, one of my all-time favorite Best Show moments.