Author Topic: Sound collage samples  (Read 128839 times)

hammytimes

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: Audio Collage Pieces
« Reply #210 on: November 14, 2013, 03:01:05 PM »
Was happy to hear the metal guys! That's an old classic. Here's a Soundcloud url, too: https://soundcloud.com/nbzmbni/a-conversation-between-two

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #211 on: November 14, 2013, 03:41:38 PM »
It's a phone conversation between two guys named Derek and Kurt. Kurt made and recorded the call during which he knew just the right questions to ask to get Derek to say some of the greatest things I've ever heard. ... I cut it up into individual tracks as there are a few times that Derek puts Kurt on hold for a couple of minutes. I uploaded the call to my Google Drive. Have at it!

Was happy to hear the metal guys! That's an old classic. Here's a Soundcloud url, too: https://soundcloud.com/nbzmbni/a-conversation-between-two

Thanks, Dudes!  The last few days I was going crazy trying to remember exactly which piece of awesome 70s tuneage was mixed in with those calls. I was pretty sure it was Paul Rodgers and Free, and I finally figured out what song it was today ... according to the YouTubes this is an "alternate heavy version". And I now remember that I know this version from Tom playing it a few years back. Enjoy and ROCK OUT!!

Free - Trouble on double time (alt. heavy version)
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #212 on: November 15, 2013, 10:24:50 AM »
Was that Longmont Potion Castle? The section with the two guys on the phone talking about Pink Floyd
concerts?

It's a phone conversation between two guys named Derek and Kurt. Kurt made and recorded the call during which he knew just the right questions to ask to get Derek to say some of the greatest things I've ever heard. Based on references made I've been able to determine that the call is from 1993. I first heard it sometime in the late 90s/early 00s. The call was the equivalent of "Rock, Rot & Rule" among touring metal bands of that time.

The entire call is nearly 45 minutes. I cut it up into individual tracks as there are a few times that Derek puts Kurt on hold for a couple of minutes. I uploaded the call to my Google Drive. Have at it!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw-_rbWKUrXSZnd0T1pxbVlpLTQ&usp=sharing

Ive never heard of this before, it kind of reminds me of Earls and Jensen.

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #213 on: November 15, 2013, 10:47:31 AM »
Was that Longmont Potion Castle? The section with the two guys on the phone talking about Pink Floyd
concerts?

It's a phone conversation between two guys named Derek and Kurt. Kurt made and recorded the call during which he knew just the right questions to ask to get Derek to say some of the greatest things I've ever heard. Based on references made I've been able to determine that the call is from 1993. I first heard it sometime in the late 90s/early 00s. The call was the equivalent of "Rock, Rot & Rule" among touring metal bands of that time.

The entire call is nearly 45 minutes. I cut it up into individual tracks as there are a few times that Derek puts Kurt on hold for a couple of minutes. I uploaded the call to my Google Drive. Have at it!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw-_rbWKUrXSZnd0T1pxbVlpLTQ&usp=sharing

Thanks! I wanted to find out more about this also. Based on them talking about the Glass House and "down in Irvine," I know they must have been some rockin' SoCal dudes.

SILVERBEARS

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #214 on: November 16, 2013, 02:24:31 AM »
Sorry Tom.
I'm never disappointing in You!!
You are the best!  I just thought that was hilarious...  Coheed Guy...
Thank You :) :)

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #215 on: November 16, 2013, 05:42:11 PM »
Sorry Tom.

Hey coheed guy ... what's the name of the song you were singing/trying to sing.

Thanks,

daveB the audio collage obsessive.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #216 on: November 17, 2013, 04:47:48 AM »
Who was that going "Oh yeah"?

What was the orchestral part ive heard that somewhere before?

What was the rock part that played after the nerds bit when Mike is doing his "Hi im Dennis" right before the end?

tbennett

• Policemans heel
« Reply #217 on: November 17, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »
The 'oh yeah' was from the frogs 'someone's pinning me to the ground'

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #218 on: November 17, 2013, 04:40:56 PM »

What was the rock part that played after the nerds bit when Mike is doing his "Hi im Dennis" right before the end?

I think you're referring to the super-phased violin loop from ELO's "Evil Woman"

Rock part after the "Nerds" bit: "Ohm" by Yo La Tengo (I got some help from my SoundHound app for that one).

Also in the latest iteration of the collage: Another ELO song, "Don't Bring Me Down". That song's four-on-the-floor beat is mixed in with a sort of industrial sounding click-track. Anywhere know where that beat is from? The part that's combined with "Don't Bring Me Down"?

Also in the recent collage: The synth bass part from Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Relax" combined with the spooky pre-song rumblings of Pink Floyd's "Welcome to the Machine". The spooky Floyd rumble returns towards the end to underscore Roy Orbison's "It's Over"  :(

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #219 on: November 17, 2013, 04:46:35 PM »
Sorry Tom.

Hey coheed guy ... what's the name of the song you were singing/trying to sing.

Thanks,

daveB the audio collage obsessive.

Oh okay, I re-listened to that part and heard you saying the song is called "Welcome Home". Yep. That's the riff that you and tom were singing:

Coheed and Cambria - Welcome Home

What's up with the fake blood? That's kinda gross, Coheed and Cambria.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #220 on: November 17, 2013, 04:56:07 PM »
Clearly, coheed and cambria are familiar with zeppelin. "Kashmir" stomp? Check. Double-neck guitar? check. Mystical runes? check. I mean those runes at the end of the vid are almost same as the Zoso Runes.

dicebourbon

• Policemans heel
« Reply #221 on: November 18, 2013, 05:20:25 AM »
I loved the return of the ghost sound effect (used in my favorite GOMP) and the addition of "Ohm", a song I am obsessed with.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #222 on: November 18, 2013, 08:09:54 AM »

I think you're referring to the super-phased violin loop from ELO's "Evil Woman"

Rock part after the "Nerds" bit: "Ohm" by Yo La Tengo (I got some help from my SoundHound app for that one).

Also in the latest iteration of the collage: Another ELO song, "Don't Bring Me Down". That song's four-on-the-floor beat is mixed in with a sort of industrial sounding click-track. Anywhere know where that beat is from? The part that's combined with "Don't Bring Me Down"?

Also in the recent collage: The synth bass part from Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Relax" combined with the spooky pre-song rumblings of Pink Floyd's "Welcome to the Machine". The spooky Floyd rumble returns towards the end to underscore Roy Orbison's "It's Over"  :(

Thanks! I thought i recognized the violin loop from somewhere.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #223 on: November 18, 2013, 02:01:48 PM »
Tom should throw in some of those people that call at the end of Sound Opinions.

dicebourbon

• Policemans heel
« Reply #224 on: November 18, 2013, 03:00:47 PM »
I don't think this has been noted in the thread yet - the howling sound from a few of the collages (first heard October 22) is from MC5's "Borderline", here at 2:03: MC5-"Borderline" from "Kick Out the Jams"