Author Topic: 'LA Podcast' Mash-up  (Read 4339 times)

Matt from Halifax

• Plantar Fasciitis
'LA Podcast' Mash-up
« on: November 18, 2013, 12:24:19 PM »
Hi!

Relatively new Best Show listener here (discovered it about 2-3 years ago) and new to the forum.

I'm trying to track down a show from at least a year ago (I think?) in which Tom sings his version of 'LA Woman' ('Same six comedians on every show/How is this any better than radio?'). Any help would be appreciated. I've spent a while searching the board but could use a hand.

Thanks!

Josh

• Space Champion!
Re: 'LA Podcast' episode
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 02:26:06 PM »
try May 22, 2012
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

markv

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 02:47:59 PM »
I just listened to this ep!

May 22, 2012: CHRIS GETHARD's worst idea ever. Atlantic City. Dumpster woes. Calls from Newbridge High class presidential candidate Mike Wilkens & his campaign manager, Kyle. Entertainer DAVE HILL, author of “Tasteful Nudes”, and comedian NICK FLANAGAN in studio!

Podcast talk starts around 1:02

Matt from Halifax

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 02:50:45 PM »
Awesome, thanks folks!

Matt from Halifax

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: 'LA Podcast' Mash-up
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 05:08:04 PM »
Thanks to your replies, I got a hold of the audio from that episode (and Tom's reprise from July 10th, 2012!) and spliced it together with an instrumental version of L.A. Woman to complete the gag. Also brought the song down from 7 to 3 minutes - I can only handle so much Doors.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-from-halifax/la-podcast-edit

I realize the bit is over a year old, but it made me laugh at the time. I was also super impressed at how accurate Tom's timing and key were, particularly for someone who hates The Doors so much!

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 06:00:07 PM »
Amazing!

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 06:05:31 PM »
Thanks to your replies, I got a hold of the audio from that episode (and Tom's reprise from July 10th, 2012!) and spliced it together with an instrumental version of L.A. Woman to complete the gag. Also brought the song down from 7 to 3 minutes - I can only handle so much Doors.

https://soundcloud.com/matt-from-halifax/la-podcast-edit

I realize the bit is over a year old, but it made me laugh at the time. I was also super impressed at how accurate Tom's timing and key were, particularly for someone who hates The Doors so much!

Wow, this is amazing! Great job.

Matt from Halifax

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 06:10:39 PM »
Thanks, folks! I now have Tom's acapella guitar riffs in my head at all times.

John Junk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 07:09:40 PM »
That is awesome!
Sword of Almonds, Show Me The Things...

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 07:09:46 PM »
Amazing work.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 07:44:46 PM »
Really nice job.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 08:00:42 PM »
Awesome job, M from H!!

"MR. JIM-MY PAR-DO ... (right?)"

I was also super impressed at how accurate Tom's timing and key were, particularly for someone who hates The Doors so much!

Tom's always been a "know thine enemy" type of guy.

P.S. Yr soundcloud page just automatically went to the Hodgman/Modern Lovers mash-up, and that's great as well. Is that from a "John Judge Hodgman" episode? If so, which one? Is that actually him doing the acapella?
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 08:04:04 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

oops, nevermind the questions, I found the deets:

https://soundcloud.com/matt-from-halifax/podcast-on
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Matt from Halifax

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »
P.S. Yr soundcloud page just automatically went to the Hodgman/Modern Lovers mash-up, and that's great as well.

Thanks! That was a super fun project too. I actually played the instruments on that one (with my friend Stephan on guitar) because I love the Modern Lovers. I think Tom's Sound Collage was a partial inspiration for the Hodgman mash-up, I dug way back to an earlier Judge Hodgman episode to compile and edit his discussions on manual transmission for the spoken word section.

Hodgman himself really enjoyed the track and was kind enough to RT and even 'buzz-market' it on a later JJH podcast! Honestly one of the nicest celebrity/artist encounters I've ever had.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 10:18:02 PM »
Hodgman himself really enjoyed the track and was kind enough to RT and even 'buzz-market' it on a later JJH podcast! Honestly one of the nicest celebrity/artist encounters I've ever had.

He's a good dude, even though he hasn't always been nice to Mike and Gary ...