Author Topic: ...other recommended WFMU programs  (Read 3489 times)

TrapNeuterReturn

• Achilles bursitis
...other recommended WFMU programs
« on: November 27, 2013, 01:05:43 PM »
The Best Show opened up the Pandora's Box that is WFMU. NPR has always sucked, but for years I was stuck in that dull rut. I gotta give Tom credit for pulling me out of that interminable crevasse of boring news and overeducated slice of life stories. That effing "Story Corps" trailer should be filled with concrete and dumped in the ocean. "This American Life" studios should be flooded with hydrochloric acid. WFMU rules, NPR drools. 

Nowadays I listen to Nardwuar while doing yard work, archived Glenn Jones/Night People before work, Distort Jersey City, Diane Kamikaze, and Brian Turner in the car. Hearty White is dedicated to long trips in the car with my wife and kid. I almost can't get enough.

Jonesy and Best Show are the only shows I tune in to live. I need something funny to look forward to, preferably during the work week. What do you all suggest?

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: ...other recommended WFMU programs
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 01:12:07 PM »
Benjamen Walker's Too Much Information

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 01:15:59 PM »
Michael_in_Athen gave me a list of podcasts he listens to last night in the chat room, I have it at home and will post the list tonight...

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 02:12:01 PM »
He's leaving, too.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 02:33:27 PM »
He's leaving, too.

Dammit all to hell. I haven't listened in a while--was this announced a while back? I was a big fan of his Theory of Everything, which was a NPR podcast. That ended, and I didn't know until a year ago or so that he was on WFMU. Any announced plans for his future?

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 02:48:26 PM »
He's leaving, too.

Dammit all to hell. I haven't listened in a while--was this announced a while back? I was a big fan of his Theory of Everything, which was a NPR podcast. That ended, and I didn't know until a year ago or so that he was on WFMU. Any announced plans for his future?

Last night he announced it. He's going head-on into podcasting.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

erg79

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »
Well, that's good news.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 04:24:04 PM »
Maybe Mike can do a lead in show for the Nard.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »
The Best Show opened up the Pandora's Box that is WFMU. NPR has always sucked, but for years I was stuck in that dull rut. I gotta give Tom credit for pulling me out of that interminable crevasse of boring news and overeducated slice of life stories. That effing "Story Corps" trailer should be filled with concrete and dumped in the ocean. "This American Life" studios should be flooded with hydrochloric acid. WFMU rules, NPR drools. 

Nowadays I listen to Nardwuar while doing yard work, archived Glenn Jones/Night People before work, Distort Jersey City, Diane Kamikaze, and Brian Turner in the car. Hearty White is dedicated to long trips in the car with my wife and kid. I almost can't get enough.

Jonesy and Best Show are the only shows I tune in to live. I need something funny to look forward to, preferably during the work week. What do you all suggest?

This is Michael in Athen's list of podcasts he likes, only one of these is FMU though. I, too, better start loading up on new podcasts to take the place of TBS:

Seven Second Delay with Ken and Andy (FMU)
The Flop House
I Seem Fun (Jen Kirkman)
Judge John Hodgman
Mental Illness Happy Hour
Nerd Poker (sorry, Michael, a D&D podcast even in jest is just not possible for me)
Sklarbro Country
Walking the Room
Todd Barry podcast?

Hope this helps!

nowah

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 07:18:17 PM »
Seven Second Delay is the show I see most people going to and sticking around with if they go looking for new WFMU talk shows to follow. That's not a bad thing. Ken and Andy are geniuses and when they're inspired they're second to few. The Elevator Episode from September 26, 2012 is one of the all time great pieces of radio art that the station has put out. Speed Chess is probably my favorite episode of this year.

The only other FMU talk show I listen to every week is Shut Up Weirdo. Weekly topics with two extremely genial lady hosts. Spike calls often. I've been meaning to get back into Night People. I'm unclear why I fell out of it. Nardwuar is great of course. If you want music you can't go wrong with Terre T and Therese.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 07:40:58 PM »
Michael Shelley's FMU show is mostly music, but he also lands some good interviews with 60s and 70s musicians, and sometimes power-pop type people of more recent vintage. He also gets music writer/journalists on the show sometimes. I like his show a lot.

Oh, and Therese and Amadeo have started a podcast which, as I understand it , is the live transition between their late nite music shows ... between the two music shows is a chatty portion, which is now a podcast: http://directory.libsyn.com/shows/view/id/47736
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Pete from Boston [and NJ]

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 10:13:58 PM »
The Dusty Show with Clay Pigeon is a worthy destination Thursdays at 6pm.  But the best part is the last hour of Fabio's show beforehand, when it is possible to likely that Clay will arrive early to needle Fabio and drag him along into The Dusty Show. 

I am bummed about the lack of Solid Gold Hell now, but the archives are amazing.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 04:33:24 AM »

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 01:22:06 PM »
I'll miss Benjamen's show but will keep up with his podcast.  I've fallen off with 7SD and The Dusty Show but might rejoin.  But most of my favorite WFMU shows are music: the (late, lamented) Mudd Up, The Cherry Blossom Clinic, The Evan "Funk" Davies Show, Brian Turner, Sinner's Crossroads, and Downtown Soulville are all favorites.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Flood

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 01:33:36 PM »
Additionally to the Dusty Show with Clay Pigeon and Night People, I also enjoy listening to The Glen Jones Radio Programme featuring X.Ray Burns (two major talk parts between the music). TMI has also been great, but I haven't listened religiously. Another talk show like TMI, heavy on interviews was The Speakeasy with Dorian. There are other current talk shows on WFMU but I can't get into them (usually because the personalities annoy me).

edit: I just learned Night People is not going to be on anymore, either. This is really sad. WFMU needs more good talk shows.
FOTpediaAP Mike Day! – I feed you garbage!