Author Topic: RALEIGH-DURHAM-CHAPEL HILL! Triangle Best Show Finale Gathering  (Read 5258 times)

GroverJefferson

• Policemans heel
RALEIGH-DURHAM-CHAPEL HILL! Triangle Best Show Finale Gathering
« on: November 28, 2013, 11:26:10 AM »
Let's get the ball rolling on this, gang.

The Triangle is big-time FOT country (I hear the drummer for that one band in town, The Superhchunks, is even a fan), and we've gotta celebrate the end of an era in style come December 17.

Now, the obvious first choice is Tom's favorite pizza place/sports memorabilia emporium, Chapel Hill's Italian Pizzeria III. But I'm open to other venues that might have more sympathetic management willing to put 'FMU over the speakers and such... one of the area's many microbreweries or concert venues? A good old local dive?

Any other ideas for festivities (pre-show movie screenings, guest appearances by Gary the Squirrel) are also welcome.

it'sdevin

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: RALEIGH-DURHAM-CHAPEL HILL! Triangle Best Show Finale Gathering
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 10:47:26 PM »
Oh hey look at me using my FOT Forum account for the first time in like forever!

But yes, I was able to finagle my work schedule so that I am FREE for that night! I am down for whatever. I sent an Event Request to Fullsteam Brewery, but I have a sneaking suspicion they will probably want to charge us for using their space. Anyone have any other ideas?

GroverJefferson

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 12:18:38 PM »
You never know. The Fullsteam guys might find it novel and harmless to put a silly radio show on if a good crowd of people are out beering it up on a Tuesday night.

Other possibilities I've heard floated include OCSC, which is probably about the right size and is possibly FOT-inclined(?) ... also, I know Local 506 tried for a listening party once, but they landed on a Depravity's Rainbow night.

it'sdevin

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 06:35:31 PM »
Well, Fullsteam says they'd love to, but "our acoustics are so bad and the main room is so loud, I would be afraid you wouldn't be able to hear it." Also Tuesday is movie night for them. :-(

As far as I can tell, there's no event scheduled at the Local 506. Anyone have Glenn's email?

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 06:44:50 PM »
"our acoustics are so bad and the main room is so loud, I would be afraid you wouldn't be able to hear it."

I feel like if I went to one of these listening parties I'd want to wear my earbuds to avoid this problem. It will be like being alone in a group! You can communicate with others only through body language, like waving, nodding, or high-fiving. BUT NO TALKING!!!

it'sdevin

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 06:15:24 PM »
Glenn's down for us having the listening party at the 506! We'll get the details from him soon.

GroverJefferson

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 02:34:39 PM »
Still going back and forth with Glenn, but here's what I'm envisioning and will pitch to him.

Listening Party from 8-12ish at Local 506. Opening hour for people to meander in, mingle, order drinks, etc. I know there are a few FOTs who do standup in the area, so if we wanted to do a showcase or anything, that'd be an option. The show would be on in either the bar area up front or the club area in back, with the other space for people to talk and such to keep down on noise/let people listen. If there are calls, we can certainly check in and represent for the Triangle.

Also, since its right next door, I think a pre-show dinner at IP3 would be fantastic (back story: Tom went there once when snowbound in Chapel Hill, as it was the only place open, and the pizza was not to his liking... Jon, on the other hand, is apparently a fan, and they've gone back and forth about it on Twitter and perhaps over the air a few times. Is this a favorite running gag of mine because it came up during one of my two calls ever to the show? It might be). We could also do a group picture there against one of their many sports memento filled walls (one of Tom's least favorite identifying features of the place) to put up on the Twitters.

Anyhow, that's all I've got.... other ideas are welcome. Naturally, the success of this thing will hinge on getting people out there, so spread the word and get folks from Carrboro to Cary to join us... I know Chapel Hill isn't exactly centrally located in the Triangle, but I think it's a perfect venue to celebrate at.

hag

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 05:54:35 PM »
I'll be there!

it'sdevin

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 12:20:21 AM »
Sounds perfect! Let's do this!!  8)

lastplaneout

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 09:39:07 AM »
Count me in!

GroverJefferson

• Policemans heel
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 09:39:39 AM »
Reading that "let's do this!" in a Gary the Squirrel voice.

Gonna run those details by Glenn, and once we get the go-ahead, pass word along to Tom/the master listening party list, so we can get word out on the air.

misskcat

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 11:13:47 PM »
I'll be there! I thought I posted earlier but I'm not seeing it here. Thanks for organizing!

GroverJefferson

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 01:31:01 PM »
SHOW CONFIRMED. Added to master list. Listen for it on tonight's show! AND COME ON OUT.

7pm-8pm: Unofficial FOT Pizza Party at Italian Pizzeria 3 in Chapel Hill (right next door to the venue). ON RECORD AS KID JERSEY'S PIZZERIA OF CHOICE IN THE TRIANGLE.
8pm-12am(? ... until Tom don't wanna go, but heeeeeeee's gotta go!): OFFICIAL Triangle Best Show Finale Listening Party at Local 506.

Questions/comments/etc between now and the 17th, just let me know. Gonna be setting up a FB event and unlocking my Twitter to spread the good news.

GroverJefferson

• Policemans heel
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/684793714899470/

Facebook page... gonna dress it up a bit later, but for now... INVITE PEOPLE! Let's pack the house for the end of an era.

it'sdevin

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »
So this guy is demanding to be put on the "guest list" for the show. I keep telling him there isn't one but he won't listen.