Author Topic: What do you think of The Goddamn Dave Hill Show?  (Read 9003 times)

gravy boat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: What do you think of The Goddamn Dave Hill Show?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 11:24:23 AM »
He's growing on me. Therese was a great co-host last night for Dave's marathon show but she's brightens up anyone's show.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 08:33:51 PM »
He's growing on me. Therese was a great co-host last night for Dave's marathon show but she's brightens up anyone's show.

Therese has the most winning on-air manner...I so wish Depravity's Rainbow were a thing, they had great rapport

iamasq

• Policemans heel
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 03:05:58 PM »
Tried listening at the start, but Phil Anselmo bums me out as a human being.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 04:35:44 PM »
Beavis and Butt-head led me to believe that his name was "Pantera." You mean there's no guy named Pantera?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

nrt4

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 10:08:34 PM »
I stayed up really late at the library on campus one night researching for a paper on Rome, so I tuned into the like...last hour as a break because I had been researching for a few hours at this point, and at the end of a call Hill said, "Well, want me to play you out with a sweet riff?," and began playing the opening riff to "Carry On My Wayward Son," and I laughed so goddamn hard....I need to listen to him more.

Patrick

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 05:37:38 PM »
i love it. 

(i feel like i need to qualify this, because i love the best show, and i respect and admire tom, and i miss the show.  that being said, Dave Hill is a completely different beast, and is doing a different kind of show.  a previous commenter mentioned that they might not be on board with the best show if they had just listened to the first 10 shows.  in other words, gave dave a chance.  Dave has a different pace, and different style and is trying to build an all together different thing.  the show dave did after the marathon where he called people and sang Billy Joel to them was great.)
you're gonna love hell, its a lot like Ohio.

TrapNeuterReturn

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 07:23:21 PM »
Tried listening at the start, but Phil Anselmo bums me out as a human being.

Au contraire- Anselmo sounded good natured, charming, and smart... inebriated, but quick witted. I wasn't feeling Dave Hill, but Phil Anselmo of all people won me over.

iamasq

• Policemans heel
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 08:29:44 PM »
Charming though he may be, he's got weird white-power rants in his closet which just make him unlikeable to me (Phil, that is).

dutch

• Policemans heel
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 12:36:56 PM »
I made it through 3 episodes then decided to explore the best show archives instead.
- I thought Dave's book Tasteful Nudes was fantastic
- his erotic short stories on twitter often made me cry laughing
- I like how he answers the phone "It's Dave... who is this?" and responds to How are you with "I'm incredible"

The biggest minus for me was, no offense to Tom, that I couldn't put it on to fall asleep to because of the guitar noodling.

Nicholas Tanek

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 09:35:17 AM »
I stopped listening it. I did like it. I did not love it. One thing I did like is that he ALWAYS has guests. The guitar gets annoying sometimes.

This is going to sound really horrible, but when I listen to Dave Hill's show... it just makes me miss The Best Show more. It's nothing against Dave Hill. It truly isn't.
Read

The Coolest Way to Kill Yourself
by Nicholas Tanek
Link: http://amzn.com/B00GUSAX7G

Chipped Black Nail Polish
by Nicholas Tanek
Link: http://amzn.com/B00WUNS58O

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 04:54:40 AM »
I made it through 3 episodes then decided to explore the best show archives instead.
- I like how he answers the phone "It's Dave... who is this?" and responds to How are you with "I'm incredible"

The biggest minus for me was, no offense to Tom, that I couldn't put it on to fall asleep to because of the guitar noodling.

I also like the "call me back in 20 minutes" thing.

nrt4

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 05:25:47 PM »

I also like the "call me back in 20 minutes" thing.

Oh yeah. He's gotten a nice little rotation of recurring bits. I like how he refers to the songs as "sweet jams."

Also on the first episode when he says, "I've recently gotten into writing erotic short stories. Turns out that's something else I'm pretty sweet at," I died laughing.

DadHasADD

• Policemans heel
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 03:08:25 AM »
same time slot; two totally different shows. I like Best Show better, but I am also loving Dave's humor. I like how he is always admitting that he can't work the equipment, etc. "I'm just a wild horse." "I can't believe they let me have the keys to this place." That's another place where he is different to Tom, who was a professional broadcaster, but I kind of like the haphazardness of Dave's show.

His guests are usually interesting. Kevin Allison is hilarious. Bobby "from the Woods" Tisdale is not overly funny, but is kind of like a warm cup of coffee to start the show. He's had on Malcolm Gladwell, Damien Echols, Jen Kirkman, Michael Ian Black, Todd Barry, Dick Cavett, Steve Buscemi, Joe Franklin and more.

I like some of this bits, like erotic short stories, the cringeworthyness of when a fan calls to "jam" with him over the phone, and "Weather Channel Headline or Nightmare on Elm Street Dialogue" game.

Again, not Tom and the many times I was doubled over in laughter listening to the Best Show, but I think Dave's show is still an entertaining one and something I am happy to listen to for the whole running time.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 09:23:41 AM »
There was an episode from late 2007 when Laurie asked Tom what he thought of "King of Miami." Tom said he thought it was funny. Portents.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!