Author Topic: I wonder what Mike thinks of ______  (Read 47011 times)

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
Re: I wonder what Mike thinks of ______
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2014, 07:11:50 PM »
The possibility that Thomas Pynchon may look like Pauly Walnuts, per his cameo in Inherent Vice.

That picture of Pynchon when he was young looks a little like my father when he was that age. And since my father and Pynchon are about the same age, I just figured Pynchon would look a little like my father. I've seen that photo of the guy who stalked him on the Upper West Side, though, and he looks a little more like Lou Reed (it looks like he dyes his hair).
See God, Kai

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2014, 07:29:44 PM »
The possibility that Thomas Pynchon may look like Pauly Walnuts, per his cameo in Inherent Vice.

That picture of Pynchon when he was young looks a little like my father when he was that age. And since my father and Pynchon are about the same age, I just figured Pynchon would look a little like my father. I've seen that photo of the guy who stalked him on the Upper West Side, though, and he looks a little more like Lou Reed (it looks like he dyes his hair).

I haven't seen any of those, but did you see the guy that people think is Pynchon in Inherent Vice?

Here is a link, apparently that's him sitting at the table around the  40 second mark of the trailer, does he look similar to the ones you are referring to?

http://laist.com/2014/12/14/photos_thomas_pynchons_apartment_in.php#photo-1

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2014, 08:25:42 PM »

I haven't seen any of those, but did you see the guy that people think is Pynchon in Inherent Vice?

Here is a link, apparently that's him sitting at the table around the  40 second mark of the trailer, does he look similar to the ones you are referring to?

Yeah. You can get a better look at the 57 second mark here:

http://www.nytimes.com/video/movies/100000003298787/anatomy-of-a-scene-inherent-vice.html

See God, Kai

bigginsjp

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2015, 10:40:15 AM »
Tom Wolfe?

(Just started working through The Bonfire of the Vanities)

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2015, 12:25:17 AM »
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, The Right Stuff, and Bonfire of the Vanities were great, but he lost me with that novella that was published in Rolling Stone Magazine (I can't even remember the name of it). And the reviews for his last couple books were mixed, so I didn't bother.
See God, Kai

nrt4

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2015, 01:58:29 AM »
Sometimes A Great Notion?

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2015, 07:09:21 AM »
Sometimes a Great Notion is nuts in a good way. Not a great book (it's way too baggy) but I'm glad I read it.
See God, Kai

bigginsjp

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2015, 01:36:35 PM »
David Mitchell (author of The Bone Clocks, Cloud Atlas)?

I was thinking of reading one or both of these. (I've seen Cloud Atlas the film and am still trying to sort it out in my head)

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2015, 07:35:46 PM »
I have Cloud Atlas, but haven't read it yet. I hear that's the one to start with.
See God, Kai

JesseG.

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2015, 05:24:36 PM »
I have Cloud Atlas, but haven't read it yet. I hear that's the one to start with.
Cloud Atlas is a really good read, but I think I prefer A Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet. Start anywhere really. That dude can write.
@hedrinksgas

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2015, 05:00:15 PM »

That dude seated at the table during the tour of the rehab place isn't him. His name is Charley Morgan and his IMDB entry says he was also in The Master.

The current thinking is that Pynchon is visible reflected in the window behind Sportello and the sax player as they sit at the kitchen table at the rock band's pad. Wearing shades and a wig, could very well be him.

Yeah. You can get a better look at the 57 second mark here:

http://www.nytimes.com/video/movies/100000003298787/anatomy-of-a-scene-inherent-vice.html

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2015, 05:03:26 PM »
well that's fucking irritating, didn't post my reply when i did the "quote" thing. Long and short, that's not Pynchon at the rehab place, his name is Charley Morgan and he's in the Master. Current thinking is Pynchon can be seen reflected in the window behind Phoenix and Wilson as they are seated at the kitchen table at the rock band's place. Wearing sunglasses and a wig, could very well be him.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2015, 07:23:33 PM »
well that's fucking irritating, didn't post my reply when i did the "quote" thing. Long and short, that's not Pynchon at the rehab place, his name is Charley Morgan and he's in the Master. Current thinking is Pynchon can be seen reflected in the window behind Phoenix and Wilson as they are seated at the kitchen table at the rock band's place. Wearing sunglasses and a wig, could very well be him.
Calm down Epic. Get on Skype.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2015, 07:25:18 PM »
Are you talking about the guy at the first table or the second? The guy at the second table looks like the photo of Pynchon taken by a stalker/journalist (you can find the article online).
See God, Kai

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2015, 11:20:52 AM »
Are you talking about the guy at the first table or the second? The guy at the second table looks like the photo of Pynchon taken by a stalker/journalist (you can find the article online).

I agree, as much as you can say someone looks like someone.

I will say, though, that being shown that clearly in that scene does not fit with how hard he's worked to keep himself anonymous.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!