Author Topic: Best show of The Best Show  (Read 13772 times)

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Best show of The Best Show
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2009, 10:28:08 AM »
SEPTEMBER 11, 2007 HIGHLIGHTS

Henry Owings gets screamed at
Joe Torre's Bigelow Tea commercials are reviewed
A deer builds an iron man suit to kill Ted Nugent
Tom talks about air hockey
Clark calls three times
Eddie calls and Tom doesn't like him

GOOD STUFF!

"left bank! guh-ga-da. right bank! guh-ga-da. DOWN THE GULLET! guh-ga-da!"

erechoveraker

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2009, 11:01:20 AM »

Wow, I just laughed really hard from reading this. I need to go listen to that episode again - TODAY!

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2009, 11:46:53 AM »
That show also saw my first ever call. I was very nervous, and talked about Uwe Boll.
I remember it because a) it was September 11, and b) I had just seen the National the previous night. They were good.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2009, 01:26:03 PM »
SEPTEMBER 11, 2007 HIGHLIGHTS

amazing
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

todd

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2009, 02:01:33 PM »
Tom humming the guitar riff to Iron Man as the deer rises up from the bushes = poop your pants funny.

sleepytako

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2009, 08:17:49 PM »
The other great show, which I forgot the date but I remember riding my bike around listening to the podcast was the show that had the Bryce call about "turret hits" and all the generals in WWII.

That was also the PC Richard show. IT KEEPS ON GIVING

AH! I remember walking through the Max-Valu shopping for something for dinner trying not to crack up listening to the PC Richard part of the show.

Re-listening now.

Jake from Memphis

• Policemans heel
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2009, 01:36:40 PM »
I refuse to say this is THE best Best Show, because the show's trajectory clearly states that the best is yet to come. I just have to call out the August 31-September 6, 2005 move to Sirius story arc, as those were the shows that cemented me as a Best Show fan 4 life.

Never before or since have I seen a 'prank' (for lack of a better word that doesn't devalue the high art this was) pulled off with such grand design. Over the course of the weeks leading up to his 'departure', Tom plays the entire audience like an award winning fiddle player. He both uses the time to say goodbye, pulling deep emotions from people while showing everyone exactly what they would be missing if he really did leave by putting on some of the best shows in the archive. When it all pays off in one final blow-out love fest you think the worst has passed, the show is gone, but the very next week Tom 'crawls back', torturing anyone who cares with his deep inner pain and showing them the death of his soul. Even when the reveal comes, it still feels like things could go south like that at any minute. That feeling has threaded it's way through every single show and I just love it! It is truly a thing of beauty.

Seconded.  I was still living in NY when this was going on and was just a WFMU fan who enjoyed listening to the best show whenever it was on.  This hooked me completely and I've tried never to miss a show since.

spacepope

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2009, 04:14:37 PM »
My personal favorite when it comes to Tom singing is his rendition of "Breakaway" by Kelly Clarkson. Instant smile.
I think this is the same episode with Poster Children and Uncle Zeph. Great stuff. Love the singing

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2009, 05:46:36 PM »
I love the amazement at the name "Zeph"
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

scratchbomb

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2009, 03:36:32 PM »
Hard to pick one, but the Ted Leo/World Is In the Turlet show stands out for me.
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2009, 10:53:54 AM »
that show puts butterflies in my stomach every time.

ben

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2009, 02:58:01 AM »
i thought the danielson family bachelor party episode was a lot of fun - partly cause it was one of the first i heard, i think.  plus nice assortment of calls, friendly guests, it was great!
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

moonshake

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2009, 11:39:40 PM »
One of my favorites is the 1/31/06 show. It starts off with a very leisurely paced but absolutely fascinating half-hour Tom/Spike/APMike chat, followed by a couple of great Bryce & Marky Ramone calls. JW was in top form this day- he has a couple of impromptu calls towards the end that make me laugh like a drain.
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

johnD

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2009, 08:13:10 AM »
I vote for the episode when Todd Palin first called in because it was the first show I heard. Unbelievable.

Kublakhan61

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2009, 08:37:37 AM »
I vote for the episode when Todd Palin first called in because it was the first show I heard. Unbelievable.

I started listening around this time, too ... so, while I can't weigh in on the BEST Best Show, I just want to say I'm loving that air horn every time it gets worked in.