Author Topic: The Mike Thread  (Read 15586 times)

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Mike Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
How about the "Pieces Of Flith" as the stand-in for the Friends Of Mike?
This may be the year I will disappear.

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 01:23:38 PM »
This thread is bad news. Right now it seems fine but mark my words: THIS WILL END BADLY.

Tom.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 08:48:43 PM »
I had pizza with a nice gentleman named "Mike" in Jersey City, NJ recently.  Speaking of Mikes.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 10:10:04 PM »
MIKE MIKE MIKE MIKE Mike Mike Mike MIKE MIKE
MIKE MIKE Mike Mike Mike
MIKE MIKE MIKE MIKE
Mike Mike Mike

MIKE MIKE MIKE
 MIKE Mike Mike Mike
MIKE MIKE MIKE MIKE
Mike Mike Mike

I am sick.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

fletcher munson

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 10:51:20 PM »
mike mouse pad?

veni dixie vici

Keith Whitener

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 12:12:09 AM »
The Holy Bible is an ironic album because its made in such a way that it encourages listeners to read its lyrics, but the whole thing is overshadowed by the fact that the lyrics’ author, Richey James Edwards, killed himself shortly after the album’s release. Richey’s name often comes up on lists of rock’s most outrageous moments for the time he answered the question, “Are you for real?” by carving 4 Real into his forearm. He was for real.

Some people are able to stare into the darkness and not be consumed by it. The darkness ate Edwards up. He was an alcoholic, an anorexic, a self-mutilator, and an intellectual. He saw that the things that plagued him were the result of systematic societal ills and its what he made the subject of his songs. The Holy Bible contains tracks about self-mutilation, anorexia, the futility of justice, child prostitution, etc.

I think Edwards saw himself as a Nietzsche-like figure, which wouldn’t be a surprise given that he makes allusions to Foucault in his lyrics. On The Holy Bible, Edwards throws everything into question and he foresees the backlash such an act would merit him. “I am an architect, they call me a butcher/ I am a pioneer, they call me primitive/I am purity, they call me perverted."

If you can imagine Intervention set to rock, but self-aware and highly literate, then you get The Holy Bible.

perry

• Policemans heel
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 11:13:33 AM »
Mike,

would you rather be addicted to gambling or huffing cans of duster?

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 11:36:40 AM »
Gambling is probably more costly, so I'll go with huffing. Who doesn't want to feel like they're walking on sunshine once in a while?
See God, Kai

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
Gambling is probably more costly, so I'll go with huffing. Who doesn't want to feel like they're walking on sunshine once in a while?

Go with sparkly paint!

Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 01:53:30 PM »
Haven't heard The Holy Bible. The only MSP I have is Everything Must Go which I kind of liked but not enough to go deeper into their catalog. Should I?

Yes! One of my top five albums of all time. I think it may well be something Mike would enjoy.

In fitting with the darker and angrier nature of the new songs, the references used throughout the album's songs and artwork were more obscure than in the past, drawing less from the world of pop culture and more from the shady world of serial killers and political dictators. Edwards' interest in philosophy was also more evident on this album, with nihilism ("I know I believe in nothing but it is my nothing") and misanthropy ("All I preach is extinction") being particularly prevalent. A mood of misanthrophy and self-hatred hovers over much of the album, a feeling different from, but not unrelated to, the general feeling of pessimism and despair that had pervaded their previous albums.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

gravy boat

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 03:00:11 PM »
Mike,
As a well-seasoned man of the world, how do you handle the frustration of a work superior trying to keep you down? Thanks.

GB

This thread is bad news. Right now it seems fine but mark my words: THIS WILL END BADLY.

Tom.

Keith Whitener

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 03:09:44 PM »
Excellent, an endorsement from Samir! I'll wait for you to listen to it and post your thoughts, Mike, before I add some more of my own.

Are you familiar with the author Noah Cicero? I think he might be right up your alley as well. Imagine Sartre and Marc Maron mashed together in Youngstown, Ohio and you've got Cicero.

Sarah

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 03:21:43 PM »
Mike,
As a well-seasoned man of the world, how do you handle the frustration of a work superior trying to keep you down? Thanks.

GB

Tom.

I don't know.  With all Mike's recent successes, Tom might be right to be feeling a little kinship with Margo Channing these days. 

Pastor Josh

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 04:29:33 PM »
Mike, I like art that severely depresses.  Jimmy Corrigan (or anything that Chris Ware does) and Dogville are among my favorites.  What would you recommend in any format?  Especially, where should I begin with Mr. Herzog?
Who I don't have chocolate?

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 05:21:23 PM »
Mike, I like art that severely depresses.  Jimmy Corrigan (or anything that Chris Ware does) and Dogville are among my favorites.  What would you recommend in any format?  Especially, where should I begin with Mr. Herzog?

Herzog's best movies are drunk on both the wonders and horror of life.  They're a blast, they're not depressing.