Author Topic: The Best Party in Iceland  (Read 2482 times)

not that clay

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
The Best Party in Iceland
« on: June 26, 2010, 07:21:57 PM »
This guy has to be a FOT:

REYKJAVIK, Iceland — A polar bear display for the zoo. Free towels at public swimming pools. A "drug-free Parliament by 2020." Iceland’s Best Party, founded in December by a comedian, Jon Gnarr, to satirize his country’s political system, ran a campaign that was one big joke. Or was it?

Last month, in the depressed aftermath of the country’s financial collapse, the Best Party emerged as the biggest winner in Reykjavik’s elections, with 34.7 percent of the vote, and Mr. Gnarr — who also promised a classroom of kindergartners he would build a Disneyland at the airport — is now the fourth mayor in four years of a city that is home to more than a third of the island’s 320,000 people.

In his acceptance speech he tried to calm the fears of the other 65.3 percent. "No one has to be afraid of the Best Party," he said, "because it is the best party. If it wasn’t, it would be called the Worst Party or the Bad Party. We would never work with a party like that."

With his party having won 6 of the City Council’s 15 seats, Mr. Gnarr needed a coalition partner, but ruled out any party whose members had not seen all five seasons of "The Wire." ...

The Best Party, whose members include a who’s who of Iceland’s punk rock scene, formed a coalition with the center-left Social Democrats (despite Mr. Gnarr’s suspicion that party leaders had assigned an underling to watch "The Wire" and take notes). With that, Mr. Gnarr took office last week, hoping to serve out a full, four-year term, and the new government granted free admission to swimming pools for everyone under 18. Its plans include turning Reykjavik, with its plentiful supply of geothermal energy, into a hub for electric cars.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/26/world/europe/26iceland.html

mackro

Re: The Best Party in Iceland
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 07:27:01 PM »
I so hope Gunnar of Bless and many other bands gets something. He wrote the only comprehensive book on the history of Icelandic rock music.

EDIT:
He of the band that put out this CD in 1990, which all should have:

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 07:36:19 PM »
This guy has to be a FOT:

REYKJAVIK, Iceland — A polar bear display for the zoo. Free towels at public swimming pools. A "drug-free Parliament by 2020." Iceland’s Best Party, founded in December by a comedian, Jon Gnarr, to satirize his country’s political system, ran a campaign that was one big joke. Or was it?

Last month, in the depressed aftermath of the country’s financial collapse, the Best Party emerged as the biggest winner in Reykjavik’s elections, with 34.7 percent of the vote, and Mr. Gnarr — who also promised a classroom of kindergartners he would build a Disneyland at the airport — is now the fourth mayor in four years of a city that is home to more than a third of the island’s 320,000 people.

In his acceptance speech he tried to calm the fears of the other 65.3 percent. "No one has to be afraid of the Best Party," he said, "because it is the best party. If it wasn’t, it would be called the Worst Party or the Bad Party. We would never work with a party like that."

With his party having won 6 of the City Council’s 15 seats, Mr. Gnarr needed a coalition partner, but ruled out any party whose members had not seen all five seasons of "The Wire." ...

The Best Party, whose members include a who’s who of Iceland’s punk rock scene, formed a coalition with the center-left Social Democrats (despite Mr. Gnarr’s suspicion that party leaders had assigned an underling to watch "The Wire" and take notes). With that, Mr. Gnarr took office last week, hoping to serve out a full, four-year term, and the new government granted free admission to swimming pools for everyone under 18. Its plans include turning Reykjavik, with its plentiful supply of geothermal energy, into a hub for electric cars.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/26/world/europe/26iceland.html

This is very encouraging news!
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 08:10:03 PM »
They have many worthy goals, like free towels in all the swimming pools, and a drug-free parliament by 2020. I would go to one of their rallies in a minute.

Sarah

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 08:19:22 PM »
According to a 1968 Encyclopedia Junior Britannica I have been ripping up for recycling recently (each torn page feels like a wound), Iceland's average winter temp is 31 and average summer temp is 51.  This sounds perfect.  I want to move.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 08:20:37 PM »
According to a 1968 Encyclopedia Junior Britannica I have been ripping up for recycling recently (each torn page feels like a wound), Iceland's average winter temp is 31 and average summer temp is 51.  This sounds perfect.  I want to move.

each torn page feels like a wound
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Sarah

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 08:23:15 PM »
Yup.  And on top of that my surviving dog's hind legs stopped working today, so he's for the knackers soon.  And I feel crazy sad and put upon right now.

And, yes, am tipsy with it.  Sorry.  Life is not anything I like at the moment.

Steve of Bloomington

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 11:18:17 PM »
It's a beautiful and strange place. I went there in 2007 and wish I had stayed longer.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 02:47:02 AM »
Fun fact: The vice-president of the Best Party is Einar, the trumpeter/vocalist for the Sugarcubes who was even weirder than Björk.

... and possibly the only other Icelandic person I've ever been aware of.

Einar contributes his cookie-monster vocals at the 1:42 mark in this campaign video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxBW4mPzv6E&feature=player_embedded
(Not sure what Tina Turner thinks about all of this).

Edit:: Okay, now I'm not sure if that's actually Einar doing the cookie-monster vocals. Is it? Or is he somewhere else in the video? Okay, now I think Einar might be the guy who says "Let the imbeciles pack" at the one-minute mark. I'm confused. I can't get a bead on this Iceland stuff.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 04:27:42 AM »
Great to see that someone is taking the political process seriously when your country is going down the drain.

mackro

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 12:11:13 PM »
Einar "oh my gud, this really huhts" Örn is now the vice-prez of Iceland, the man from KUKL. Björk might as well be queen. This is incredible.

Jason

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 02:46:30 PM »
One in four Icelanders will publish a book in their lifetime.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 04:48:27 PM »
There are some 300,000 people living in Iceland. Probably even less now after the near-collapse. I think most Icelanders get the chance to lead the country at least once during their lifetime.

And publish a book.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 09:39:51 AM »
Iceland has the been the fantasy vacation destination of my wife and I since we first met.  When the kids are off to college or digging ditches, she and I will go there.

Einar's vocals ruined the Sugarcubes for me. 
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Gentleman Jim

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 03:49:22 PM »
They have many worthy goals, like free towels in all the swimming pools, and a drug-free parliament by 2020. I would go to one of their rallies in a minute.

Actually, if you read the Times article, there's a good reason for the Free Towels thing.  It will allow them to reclassify their public swimming spots as spas under EU regulations, which in turn they hope will increase tourism.

The drug-free parliament by 2020 plank is funny.

I hope they do well... nay, I hope the do The Best.