Author Topic: Nice Blurb about JW  (Read 2130 times)

colonel panic

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Nice Blurb about JW
« on: October 09, 2009, 10:50:23 AM »
Nothing we didn't already know but it's nice to hear somebody say it (about the Bob Mould show in Boston):

The difference-maker on this tour is the hardest working man in show business, Jon Wurster. Mould introduced him as "direct from Comedy Central," because 24 hours earlier, he was in New York drumming with the Mountain Goats on the Colbert Report. Between that, his comedy career with Tom Scharpling on WFMU, and all the recent activity of his "regular" gig with Superchunk, it is hard to fathom how he keeps up. You'd never know he did anything else but drum with Bob Mould though, as he clearly is having a blast doing it. He's probably the most fun drummer to watch since Keith Moon, singing along, pulling faces, and just his general enthusiasm. It'll be disappointing if we find out he's on 'roids. His spirit is infectious: Mould was loose and cracking more than a few smiles throughout the set.
http://jbreitling.blogspot.com/2009/10/rock-over-boston-bob-mould-paradise.html

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
Re: Nice Blurb about JW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 12:00:56 PM »
Nothing we didn't already know but it's nice to hear somebody say it (about the Bob Mould show in Boston):

How cool that Jon is rubbing off on Bob Mould! Not a happy go lucky guy. I heard there was a forthcoming bio on him that Michael Azzerad is doing? Has anyone heard that too?
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Dan B

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 12:08:21 PM »
Isn't supposed to be about all of the Hüsker Düdes?

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 01:05:49 PM »
...the most fun drummer to watch since Keith Moon...

HELLOOOOO! Charlie Watts?

But seriously folks [wiping laughter-tear from eye], the Wurster assessment is true.  I have shown two different people footage of the Mountain Goats performing - both people not being Best Show listeners - and both said the same thing: "He is amazing to watch!"  Needless to say, I agree with them.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 01:17:31 PM »
...the most fun drummer to watch since Keith Moon...

HELLOOOOO! Charlie Watts?

But seriously folks [wiping laughter-tear from eye], the Wurster assessment is true.  I have shown two different people footage of the Mountain Goats performing - both people not being Best Show listeners - and both said the same thing: "He is amazing to watch!"  Needless to say, I agree with them.

I think drummers & singers in general are more interesting to watch live, b/c there's just more going on. A lot of guitar and bass players are kinda samey same. They are usually a)concave, leaning over their guitar, like they don't want to be seen, or b)convex, thrusting their pelvis out, making that "Rawk!" face.

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 01:22:13 PM »
I wonder which band takes priority (Mould or M Goats) for him. Both groups are touring right now - I would guess there are some conflicting dates?

redmedicine

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 04:37:36 PM »

How cool that Jon is rubbing off on Bob Mould! Not a happy go lucky guy. I heard there was a forthcoming bio on him that Michael Azzerad is doing? Has anyone heard that too?

Azzerad is editing Bob's autobiography, which should be coming out next year.  I don't know what I'm looking forward to more - the WWF stories, or the 5 chapters on why Grant Hart is a FWD. 

joe

• Policemans heel
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 06:17:20 PM »
I wonder which band takes priority (Mould or M Goats) for him. Both groups are touring right now - I would guess there are some conflicting dates?

The current portion of the Mountain Goats tour is just John Darnielle solo.  When they tour the US in November and December, Wurster will be there.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 11:36:32 PM »
I don't know what I'm looking forward to more - the WWF stories,

Aieee! That's right, I'd forgotten his love of wrestling. It's like my brain has no context for that piece of information, has nowhere to put it, and just discards it.