Author Topic: Coachella 2009  (Read 2480 times)

Chris L

• Space Champion!
Coachella 2009
« on: January 30, 2009, 10:12:34 AM »

I'm mainly posting this because I'm kind of mystified at how Thievery Corporation have attained such a high profile that they're billed third on Saturday.  They're huge here in DC and just sold out five nights at the 930 Club, but I can't imagine that the rest of the country much cares about them. 

samir

• Space Champion!
Re: Coachella 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 10:39:03 AM »
Superchunk? Who's SHE?
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Big Plastic Head

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 11:27:57 AM »
Shepard Fairey? He now gets billing at a music festival? Is he in a band that I don't know about nor want to know about?
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

hugman

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 11:29:39 AM »
dear god,
please let superchunk do some other shows. if it be your will please have them include the greater los angeles area in those plans.

amen.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 11:37:14 AM »
dear god,
please let superchunk do some other shows. if it be your will please have them include the greater los angeles area in those plans.

amen.

I was all excited to see Wurster on the Mountain Goats tour, only to find out it's basically Darnielle stripped down.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 02:39:05 PM »
Superchunk? Who's SHE?

my wife.  

anyway, this lineup is much more appealing than the last FIVE years, as a whole.  this is the first time since 2004(?) that ive considered going.*

*rant: the thought of spending hundreds of dollars on a ticket to walk into a hot, shade-free, acres-wide lot in the desert to spend three days with no toilets (hot, smelly port-a-potties+20-min. wait sounds fun) and no way to wash my hands when im done and the additional cost of food+water (expensive!), and im so far back i cant see anything on stage so who cares...is frightening and disappointing, but ive done it.  now i may do it again.  ugh.

hugman

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 03:04:55 PM »
Don't Do It! It's so awful.  I've been a couple times. The first time I went because 1) I got free tix, but more importantly because the fuckin' Stooges were playing. It was their first reunited show and it was so good. As we fled the scene as the Red Hot Chili Peppers took the stage I noted that as good as the Stooges were, it just barely made going worth it.

For some unknown reason I went again a few years ago. I shelled out 200 bucks for "VIP" tickets.  Funny thing about the VIP: there's about a thousand people in there. So stupid. Was it worth it to watch Francis Ford Coppola watching the Yeah Yeah Yeah's from a lawn chair? No No NO.  I'm also terrible about figuring out which stage I need to be at when and end up wandering across the grounds like a zombie missing everything I intend to see.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 03:09:50 PM »
i went in 2004, i believe, and it was okay.  i mean, for how much i paid it was truly meh.

besides, i could use that money for another weekend in LA, which is 10x funner than coachella.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 06:42:22 PM »
So Tom's been playing this McCartney guy a lot on his show ... and now he's headlining a big rock festival! Best Show Bump, in effect!

I think this McCartney fella owes Tom a guest appearance on the radio show, at the very least.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 12:50:04 AM »
Thievery Corporation suck so hard.

A.M. Thomas

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 02:20:00 AM »
There's a band called Zizek Club?  Is Žižek actually in the band?

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 07:10:25 AM »
I think the name is "SuperTRAMP."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 12:15:43 PM »
A little off-topic, but the upcoming Canadian MusicFest '09 in Toronto features the following headliners: Default, Buckcherry, Burton Cummings, Hinder, Papa Roach, Tom Cochrane, illscarlett, Anvil and the Supersuckers. My fair city is going to be overrun by munches for three days in March. Granted, it's not a single festival but a lot of scattered shows, and there's lots of good stuff in the fine print section of the listing, but still.