Author Topic: South of the Border stories  (Read 3275 times)

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
Re: South of the Border stories
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 01:22:05 AM »
Ive been to Myrtle Beach many times and i go to North Carolina all the time and i don't see how I've never seen this or even heard of it.

What?? How? What road are you taking? The billboards are littered all over I-95!

I live in Tn so i don't take I-95.

mike a

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 05:26:30 PM »
I drove from NJ to Atlanta using I-85 (I think) and didn't see a single SOTB sign.   Lots of peaches and fireworks shops in SC, though.

John

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 01:04:06 PM »
The decaying leather model animals in the Africa shop are truly terrifying.

Pidgeon

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 01:09:26 PM »

If you think those are scary, come to the zoo at Carolina Beach. I can't find any good pics of the attraction I'm talking about, but it's a nightmare.

John

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 01:28:59 PM »

If you think those are scary, come to the zoo at Carolina Beach. I can't find any good pics of the attraction I'm talking about, but it's a nightmare.

I am from NC also.  Is this the place?

Pidgeon

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 01:32:39 PM »
Yep. When I was a kid I thought the lion head entrance was the greatest thing ever.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 10:47:35 AM »
Been to South of the Border once (been by it many, many times).  Been to Wall Drug once (1 for 1 in trips by that one).

I can't enjoy that level of whatever they are.  It's good for me that I know that.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Hoboken Brian

• Policemans heel
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 06:06:52 PM »
On a drive from Massachusetts to Orlando in 1989, my family was taken in by the billboards. We decided we'd divert from the plan (no stopping between grandfather's place near Trenton and the motel in South Carolina somewhere) and at least stretch our legs and see what the big deal was.
I forget where all the signs started at that point, but seeking them out was a decent enough way to amuse myself at age 11, my brothers were more excited at the countdown aspect of the whole thing.

As we approached the vaunted South of the Border, we were full of excitement about this mysterious wonderland that had filled our day with awful puns and the opportunity to count. Then we saw it.

Mom called an audible, we didn't even slow down.
(Photo of shirtless Dick Cavett lounging on a horse goes here)

Adblau1

• Policemans heel
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 07:41:29 PM »
I ran into this today... at least we know the film is in the right hands, given the vast amount of joy the park evokes: