Author Topic: The Durham Show  (Read 3945 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
The Durham Show
« on: February 29, 2016, 01:46:16 PM »
This was my third S&W show - the movie night in LA, the show in LA and the show in Durham. Unless they had a tech along for all of them, I *might* have been the only person other than Tom and Jon at all three shows.

The show was really good - Jon Wurster in particular seemed to be really feeding off his (25-year) hometown. Terre T was there, but not Mike. The band was an All-Starr band featuring Peter Holsapple and Robert Sledge of Ben Folds Five. Chris Stamey and Laura Ballance of Superchunk/Merge were Gary/Gene Simmons guests. I thought that portion of the show went much better than the LA one with the guy from Spoon.

The show closed with Superchunk's "Slack Motherfucker," sung by everybody involved, and featuring (for the first time in 25 years) Chuck, their original drummer. That was a Triangle-rock indie fan's (and I'm very lightweight in that category) dream I'm sure.

The people at the two shows could have been switched and I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. Apparently beards are "in."

Best line of the night was I think off-the-cuff. Gene Simmons said that the meat market he described in "Ladies in Waiting" was "like Whole Foods, but with sex."

I got the first T-shirt Tom threw out (Get Ready to Meet My Little Friend, which I already had but was most appreciated) and a peanut chew that was on the ground for an hour. I also looked over late in the show and Laura Balance was next to me, which was pretty cool.

I'm presuming that Tom didn't throw out any of the old shirts (I really want a Newbridge is for Lovers one), so I'm happy to have gotten the one I did.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

mostlymeat

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: The Durham Show
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 10:56:51 AM »

Best line of the night was I think off-the-cuff. Gene Simmons said that the meat market he described in "Ladies in Waiting" was "like Whole Foods, but with sex."

I think the line from the S&W shows I saw that sticks with me the most is Gene Simmons saying "scootch, nerd".

narwhale

• Policemans heel
Re: The Durham Show
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 03:43:11 PM »

The people at the two shows could have been switched and I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. Apparently beards are "in."

I shaved that morning so I wouldn't be called out for not earning it.

The show was great. My wife has never heard the show outside of a few short clips and had a really good time. Her favorite part was RnRDWCT.