Author Topic: 70s country rock recommendations  (Read 7864 times)

vert

• Achilles bursitis
70s country rock recommendations
« on: September 16, 2017, 04:40:19 AM »
hi there fots,

I am looking for some good country rock. "The gilded palace of sin" by the flying burrito brothers and the first pure prairie league album are the only stuff I could find that scratches this itch...

I just want some big star with pedal steel, is  that too much to ask?

so any good 70s stuff with pedal steel is much appreciated... I am wearing these two albums out, please help :)

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
Re: 70s country rock recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 12:52:07 AM »
Obviously the Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, and Kris Kristofferson albums are a good place to start.

vert

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 02:57:46 AM »
Hi, thanks for the reply. I know waylon and willie pretty well (in fact I saw willie live about a month ago) but I don't know much about Kristofferson, I'll give him a look.

Also, if anyone is wondering why the heck some dude who hasn't posted around here for years suddenly came back to ask about 70s country rock... well, in my mind the venn diagram of FOTs and pop music fanatics is basically a circle, I remember some great music threads full of deep cuts from back in the day and thought I would try my luck ;)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 01:44:08 PM »
When the lights go down in the California town...
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 06:07:39 PM »
Big plus on the Kristofferson.  Another thing is if you're into vinyl, his records are pretty frequent in the discount/used bins.  I got clean copies of Border Lord and Jesus Was a Carpenter for about $5.

Also would add Tony Joe White's Black and White album to the list.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 08:09:06 PM »
Ill add Townes Van Zandt to the list as well.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 08:40:04 PM »
Hi, thanks for the reply. I know waylon and willie pretty well (in fact I saw willie live about a month ago) but I don't know much about Kristofferson, I'll give him a look.

Also, if anyone is wondering why the heck some dude who hasn't posted around here for years suddenly came back to ask about 70s country rock... well, in my mind the venn diagram of FOTs and pop music fanatics is basically a circle, I remember some great music threads full of deep cuts from back in the day and thought I would try my luck ;)
You may want to check out what The Supersuckers are up to these days. I have some boots with some nice pedal steel.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

akaJudge

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 03:48:46 PM »
we don't talk about Willis Alan Ramsey enough
Your vigor for life appalls me.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 04:47:15 PM »
Or Jerry Jeff Walker.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »
The first three Mike Nesmith & the First National Band albums (Magnetic South, Loose Salute, and Nevada Fighter).
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

vert

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 01:43:04 AM »
The first three Mike Nesmith & the First National Band albums (Magnetic South, Loose Salute, and Nevada Fighter).

Lots of great recommendations in this thread, but you nailed it, that is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for  8)

Thanks!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 06:43:12 PM »

And *that is pushing it*.

Good to see you, MOS!
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Scot

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 10:57:10 PM »
No pedal steel on this cut but Jim Ford is the bee's country-funk encrusted knees. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ2Nf7OUfhc

Not known for lapsteel either but Jerry Reed is supremely underrated. WAY more solid albums than Waylon!

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 09:56:27 PM »
Sweethearts of the Rodeo/The Byrds, Nashville Skyline/Bob Dylan, GP and Grievous Angel/Gram Parsons, Workingman's Dead/Grateful Dead, Stacked Deck/Amazing Rhythm Aces, Mother Earth Presents Tracy Nelson Country/Tracy Nelson, Billy Swan/Billy Swan, Got No Bread, No Milk, No Money, But Sure Got a Lot of Love/James Talley, Tryin' Like the Devil/James Talley, Phases and Stages and Red Headed Stranger/Willie Nelson, Honky Tonk Heroes and Dreaming My Dreams/Willie Nelson, Out of Hand and Your Place Or Mine/Gary Stewart, Joe Ely and Honky Tonk Masquerade/Joe Ely, Hank Williams Jr. and Friends/Hank Williams Jr., Old No. 1/Guy Clark, The Best of Freddy Fender/Freddy Fender, Greatest Hits/Don Williams, Restless Wind: The Legendary Billy Joe Shaver/Billy Joe Shaver, Live at the Old Quarter, Houston, Texas/Townes Van Zandt.
See God, Kai

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 11:38:44 AM »
Sweethearts of the Rodeo/The Byrds, Nashville Skyline/Bob Dylan, GP and Grievous Angel/Gram Parsons, Workingman's Dead/Grateful Dead, Stacked Deck/Amazing Rhythm Aces, Mother Earth Presents Tracy Nelson Country/Tracy Nelson, Billy Swan/Billy Swan, Got No Bread, No Milk, No Money, But Sure Got a Lot of Love/James Talley, Tryin' Like the Devil/James Talley, Phases and Stages and Red Headed Stranger/Willie Nelson, Honky Tonk Heroes and Dreaming My Dreams/Willie Nelson, Out of Hand and Your Place Or Mine/Gary Stewart, Joe Ely and Honky Tonk Masquerade/Joe Ely, Hank Williams Jr. and Friends/Hank Williams Jr., Old No. 1/Guy Clark, The Best of Freddy Fender/Freddy Fender, Greatest Hits/Don Williams, Restless Wind: The Legendary Billy Joe Shaver/Billy Joe Shaver, Live at the Old Quarter, Houston, Texas/Townes Van Zandt.

Nice list, Buster.

Guy Clark was a pure and simple poet. Glad to see him listed.

No Mekons?